• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relationship break up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dream_flies

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin
I recently broke up from a lesbian relationship. While in the relationship I deposited $8000.00 in her saveings account. I gave her my socail sercurity payment of $777.00 a month to use for bills and house hold items. While together we brought a few items a Van, TV's, bunk beds and little items for the hosue and I had an E bay store before we got together but. While together she brought a home and had it remolded everything in the house but for liveing room carpet was done before I moved out. Granted there was Birthdays, Christmas and times we would buy the grandkids cloths if we seen a good sale all in which she had agreed to doing most offten she would pick the things out.
We are no longer together and according to her I own nothing never paid for anything. When I moved out i did take a couple things we brought together such as printer for computer 1 bed from the bunk beds and on accident her speaker wires. Everything else was mine and she still has many of my things there. I asked for certain things back and she did give me some she is not denying me my things i had before the relationship. I have spoke to her about the things we got together and she flat out tells me it is hers again she tells me I never paid for anything so I get nothing. All my money went into her home weather it was for bills, food, gas and remodling of her home. I did have to make trips every month to Madison and then to Wisconsin Dells to pick up meds the cost was $126.00 a month in gas and around 25.00 for my meds untill I met my limit on co payments then it was $1.50 a month for meds. According to her i never paid for anything. I do not have reciepts because we was in a relationship and I thought it would last and i never thought when you love someone you need reciepts. I do have proof that I deposited the $8000.00 into her saveings account. Now according to her I didn't pay for anything yet at the time it was said we would each pay for half the van my share was $2000.00 it is in her name as well as the house and everything else. I was wondering what I could do as a small claims to recover some of the money that went into her home, the van i helped pay for the house items i helped pay for. I agree the bills and food ect had to be taken care of but she was given plenty of money each month to cover the cost of living. Again I have no reciepts and again she tells me I never paid for anything. Yes everything was in her name. Also when I moved from Wisconsin Dells to Seymour I left a past due bill for cable and she knew about it and it never got paid because she made the choices as to what was paid and how much was paid half the time I didn't even know how much the bills where a month. I jusy gave her the money. She has a checking account and as i said to her look at your statements it shows how much money was put inot her account. Well then after that was said while we was yet in another fight she then didnt deposit my monthlt money saying her checks would cover bills we can use the cash to buy food gas and remodleing things.
What are my rights/ Am i entitled to any money I gave forth? What about the Van i paid half for what about the money I put into her home and had to leave because it was a very abusive, unhealthy controlling relationship and I couldn't take it any longer so being it was her home i had to be the one to leave. I am now homeless liveing in a tent at a campgrounds and she refuses to give me any type of money or any other items we brought together. What about the proof that I deposited $8000.00 into her saveing account and I didn't spend it on anything? I am not asking for the full $8000.00 back but I feel it is more then fair to get back around $5000.00 back.

So what do i or can I do about this matter if anything?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hot Topic

It may or may not have been your intention, but it does look like you expected your former partner to take care of you.

You may be able to get your money back on items you can prove you paid for, but don't expect the judge to take his or her time to go over every single item and figure out that the salt shakers belonged to your partner and the lamp belonged to you. I suspect the judge will look at other things, say that you bought them with the expection that you and she would spend your lives together and jointly use them; therefore, you're not entitled to get them back or be reimbursed for them.

Verbal agreements are usually not binding. Receipts are kept for many reasons. If you think not keeping them is confirmation that you trust your partner, you're sadly naive.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">