• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

release of judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

darwindoggie

What is the name of your state? Texas
I successfully sued a man in small claims court for payment of contract services I provided. The judge awarded me the full amount, but later I gave him an $800.00 break on the amount he owed. He paid the reduced amount and has asked that I provide a "release of judgement" to him. I told him the cost of the notary was $6.00 and my time was billed at $40.00 per hour for the release and that I'd send it upon receipt of the $46.00. He refused to pay the fee of $46.00 and filed a claim against me in small claims court for the release of judgement.
Am I within my rights to charge for the release of judgement? Can I charge for the notary AND for my time, neither of them or both? Should I send the release or is this amount collectible. What about the $800.00?
Thanks AMS

S

seniorjudge

Am I within my rights to charge for the release of judgement?
Probably not; he paid the judgment and, included in his payment, is the right to have it satisfied. I could not find a Texas statute that answered this; call your state bar and ask them for a booklet on small claims or look on their website.

Can I charge for the notary AND for my time, neither of them or both?
Neither. BTW, I can't believe a notary costs $6!?

Should I send the release or is this amount collectible.
You should send him the release; you are obligated to provide the release once it is paid off.

What about the $800.00?
You said you waived that part of the judgment, so you should send him a full satisfaction.

Most small claims judgments are never collected. You are very fortunate.

racer72

I have never charged for my notary services and have never been charged by others. And just like the time a person takes to file a lawsuit is not recoverable, so goes the filing of the satisfaction of judgment, unless that is your primary occupation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">