• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rent and Money Owed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Pam26

What is the name of your state? Maryland

My ex boyfriend was living with me for about 6 months and had a verbal agreement to split the rent. He paid rent for two of those months. Can I go to small claims court to get the rent for the other four months? The apartment lease was in my father's name, but I have all my canceled rent checks proving that I was paying the bill. My ex-boyfriend was not on the lease, but I can prove that he was a resident (I saved some of his bills with my address on them). What are my chances of getting the rest of my money in small claims court?

My ex boyfriend also signed a promissory note saying that he was going to pay back some money that he borrowed from me. It was not notarized, just signed by me and him. Will that hold up in court?

Thanks,
Pam

JETX

"What are my chances of getting the rest of my money in small claims court?"
*** Any chance of success in small claims will depend largely on whether you have sufficient evidence to support your claim that there was an agreement for him to reimburse you for his share of the rent. If you do that, you should win. And since only you know what you have, in what context, only you can determine your chance at success.

"Will that hold up in court?"
*** The promissory note does not need to be notarized to be valid and, as such, should be sufficient to show that a repayment agreement existed.

With the promissory note being a fairly solid matter (assumed) and at least a decent chance of success on the rent issue, go ahead and file on him. You probably have a better than even chance of winning at least something.

P

Pam26

Rent Owed

Thanks for the advice. I will pursue him for the money owed on the promissory note that he signed. That seems like a pretty much sure thing.
With the rent issue, we didn't have a contract, just a verbal agreement. As a matter of fact, I know that he will try to deny living there so he will also deny that we had a verbal agreement. That's why I saved his bills with my address on it to prove that he was a resident. I figure to attack his credibility, then the judge may believe me when I say that we had a verbal agreement because in this instance, it's my word aginst his.

Pam

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">