• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rent & utilities dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brettthejet7

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I recently received am instant message from a former housemate who said that I should be expecting a letter from his lawyer for an unpaid utilities bill... Basically what happened was when I live with this guy and four other guys he came home drunk one night and broke into our house through a window. Well we paid $180 to fix the window and this guy said he would pay us back but never did. Then when the school year was up he decided not to pay the final 3 months rent because his name was not on our lease. He did however leave his stuff here all summer. There were a couple of smaller incidents where he owed $50 for uts or rent and never paid people back. So anyways this guy leaves the cable bill in his name and basically we decide not to pay it for the summer. He gets a bill for $287 and doesn’t want to pay it. He doesn't return the cable box to the company and leaves the bill unpaid. He claims the bill is in the area of $440 and they sent him to a collection agency.
Last week sometime this guy asks to borrow my $600 camera for a project. We have been fine all fall so I let him use it. Then after he has the camera for a week he instant messages me to expect a letter from his lawyer. It appears he is only suing me even though there are three people on the lease and three people lived here over the summer.
I estimate this guy owes over a combined $750 to myself and those living at this house, as well as an additional $600 for my camera. Basically I want to know if he has any case against me and how and if I should counter sue? Also, what steps do I need to take to protect myself? Thanks in advance, -B

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">