• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental Car Deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scribeguy526

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Where do I begin? First of all, I helped a friend rent a car using my credit card. My friend eventually turned the car in, so we could end the contract. All payments were current at that point. A few days later, he needed a car, so he rented again from the same company. I had nothing to do with this rental nor was I even present when he took out the second car. However, a week later, I realize I'm getting charged for his new rental. After calling the guy at the rental car company, he said the previous contract had not closed and was continued since my friend decided to rent again. This was news to my friend, since he paid in cash to take out the new rental. Also, one would think I would be contacted by the rental car company if they were going to use the new rental on my old contract. My friend eventually returned the last car a few weeks later, but the rental car guy says he owes him more money, which is not true. As a result, the company is not handing me back my $350 deposit, even though my contract should've been closed after the first car was returned. I'm thinking into taking him to small claims court for my deposit, but wanted expert advice before I proceed further. Also, while having the first car, the tire went flat, broke down at one point, and had no air conditioning. This company is renting out unsafe vehicles.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Where do I begin? First of all, I helped a friend rent a car using my credit card. My friend eventually turned the car in, so we could end the contract. All payments were current at that point. A few days later, he needed a car, so he rented again from the same company. I had nothing to do with this rental nor was I even present when he took out the second car. However, a week later, I realize I'm getting charged for his new rental. After calling the guy at the rental car company, he said the previous contract had not closed and was continued since my friend decided to rent again. This was news to my friend, since he paid in cash to take out the new rental. Also, one would think I would be contacted by the rental car company if they were going to use the new rental on my old contract. My friend eventually returned the last car a few weeks later, but the rental car guy says he owes him more money, which is not true. As a result, the company is not handing me back my $350 deposit, even though my contract should've been closed after the first car was returned. I'm thinking into taking him to small claims court for my deposit, but wanted expert advice before I proceed further. Also, while having the first car, the tire went flat, broke down at one point, and had no air conditioning. This company is renting out unsafe vehicles.
Why don't you file a dispute with your credit card?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Also, while having the first car, the tire went flat, broke down at one point, and had no air conditioning. This company is renting out unsafe vehicles.
Oh brother :rolleyes:
How can a tire going flat on the road = unsafe vehicle?
How can a break-down = unsafe vehicle?
How can no air conditioning = unsafe vehicle?

(My 1st car had a broken a/c and I managed for over 5 years with it, including driving around with my first two kids as youngsters - it was one of the safest cars I've had...early '70's American steel, none of this plastic junk ;) )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">