• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental Company filing theft charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

b75216

What is the name of your state? Texas
I hope i am in the right Place. If not please let me know.
I rented a computer from a computer rental company, a small one, in about mid August. I was to pay said amount per month and if I made 12 payments it was mine. If I didn’t want it I just returned it to the store. I was also told that if it broke down while I was still renting it I just had to contact them for repair. Well it’s a month later and I have not received a bill for the month as promised. So I get a ride down and pay the bill. He then informs me that he can’t even find my information in their system and then goes and has to find my original application. He then states that it will be fixed and will start to receive bills from then on. Which is what I wanted because we were having car issues (either it wasn’t running right or my husband wasn’t able to get home in time to go down there, they closed at 6 pm) the store was about 30-60 min away depending on traffic. We about 2 weeks later the computer shuts off and wont come back on. I call in and get no answer. I call for about 3 more weeks nothing. At this point I still haven’t received a bill. I call in some more. I figure since they hadn received my payment they would at least be calling me. Nothing. In all I called for about 1 ½ months. No call backs, no letters, nothing. At this point I have to start getting register for school and with getting situated for school I completely forgot about the computer until a few months later when we decided to clean out the closet and that’s when I remembered it again. At this point I have either thrown out or lost the paper work and really can’t remember the company I was dealing with. And since I hadn’t received any calls, or letters, or anything from them I just threw the computer out and completely forgets about it and I never hear from them again until today (4/28/07) a man comes to my door saying that he is there to collect his computer. At first I don’t even know what he is talking about until he gives me some information then when I realized what he was talking about I explained what happened. He then states that they will be going to court on Wednesday and that a deputy will be coming to my house the serve us for theft of property and leaves. I’m trying to find out can they really do this and if so do I have any rights at all in this matter. And what can they do to us. My husband cosigned for me, is he liable. Right now my husband isn’t working and I only work 8 hours a week. If we are made to pay and we can’t will we be taken to jail or have our belongings taken? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">