• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental Deposit question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jenjeyn

I'm in California. I gave a deposit of $950 to initiate rental. Manager called me next day after I filled out application saying credit looks good bring a $950 deposit, dumb me didn't ask for a receipt. He never specified it would be a holding deposit. I called him a few days later asking if he had the contract for us to review and he said come over any day and bring it signed the day you move in which was supposed to be August 1st. After driving around the neighborhood at night saw it's very dark and all kinds of people use alley behind the apartment building, That's my fault should of checked before, I decided not to move in. Called him June 9th, 13 days after gave deposit to let him know. Asked for pro-rated part of deposit, but landlord said no, and to be grateful they were not gonna hold me accountable for rest of 1 year lease. Even after giving a deposit, never sign lease or discussed lease terms, I'm trying to get deposite back minus pro rated rent for the days unit was off the market. I'm also worry if I take it to small claims they can make me pay for time unit it's not rented, if that's the case I won't even bother. Any light would be so much appreciated.

BL

I'm in California. I gave a deposit of $950 to initiate rental. Manager called me next day after I filled out application saying credit looks good bring a $950 deposit, dumb me didn't ask for a receipt. He never specified it would be a holding deposit. I called him a few days later asking if he had the contract for us to review and he said come over any day and bring it signed the day you move in which was supposed to be August 1st. After driving around the neighborhood at night saw it's very dark and all kinds of people use alley behind the apartment building, That's my fault should of checked before, I decided not to move in. Called him June 9th, 13 days after gave deposit to let him know. Asked for pro-rated part of deposit, but landlord said no, and to be grateful they were not gonna hold me accountable for rest of 1 year lease. Even after giving a deposit, never sign lease or discussed lease terms, I'm trying to get deposite back minus pro rated rent for the days unit was off the market. I'm also worry if I take it to small claims they can make me pay for time unit it's not rented, if that's the case I won't even bother. Any light would be so much appreciated.
With out a signed lease you still had an agreement . You decided not to move in . LL has a right to keep deposit for a mouths unpd. rent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">