• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repair shop Ripoff.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jonhen924

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida We had a vehicle repaired at a repair shop that we were comfortable with for years. It was on the corner of our old residence and our grandson's father works there in between construction work. The, owner himself, Mike, towed the Mazda from my Mom's house. We informed Mike that we were staying at my mom's house as she could no longer care for herself. We stopped in the garage a few times and was told the repairs was not completed. Mike would inform us when the parts were found and when the repairs was completed.
Today we went to check on the vehicle only to find out the vehicle was sold. Mike said the vehicle was sold and we were legally notified at our old address. Mike made no attempt to reach us at our current address or have our inlaws tell us the the vehicle was being sold. Our inlaws has 2 new phone #to contact us. Mike did not contact us. Mike use the law to sell our vehicle as he claims it was abandoned. It was not abandoned. our inlaws could have contacted us as we talk all the time. Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida We had a vehicle repaired at a repair shop that we were comfortable with for years. It was on the corner of our old residence and our grandson's father works there in between construction work. The, owner himself, Mike, towed the Mazda from my Mom's house. We informed Mike that we were staying at my mom's house as she could no longer care for herself. We stopped in the garage a few times and was told the repairs was not completed. Mike would inform us when the parts were found and when the repairs was completed.
Today we went to check on the vehicle only to find out the vehicle was sold. Mike said the vehicle was sold and we were legally notified at our old address. Mike made no attempt to reach us at our current address or have our inlaws tell us the the vehicle was being sold. Our inlaws has 2 new phone #to contact us. Mike did not contact us. Mike use the law to sell our vehicle as he claims it was abandoned. It was not abandoned. our inlaws could have contacted us as we talk all the time. Thanks
How much was the vehicle worth?

BL

Since you were now staying elsewhere ,did you put a forwarding address in ?

How did you get your mail all the time ?

Did the shop have your contact informations written down ,and did you have the shop make changes ?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How much was the vehicle worth?

That would be your lawsuit.

I suspect that the broken-down vehicle that you could do without for an extended period of time really wasn't worth that much...

OHRoadwarrior

I suspect Mike could not get parts, tried to contact you as the law requires, then filed for the title and sold the broken car.

HomeGuru

It seems like the OP abandoned the vehicle. There is more to this story. OP can sue the repair shop and Mike.

swalsh411

So you "told Mike you were staying at your Mom's house". Did you provide an address? A phone number? How long between your last contact with Mike and when you found out the car was sold?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">