• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repossession or small claim?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

podruga

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Hi, I have "sold" a boat to a guy, who claims to be an attorney. The agreement is an owner financing for 5 years. The purchase price was $40K (We still owe to the bank $70K!). He wrote up an agreement himself. I had a lawyer look it over and he did not alert me of any problems with it.

Now the buyer took the boat, without alerting us (we wanted to meet with him to make sure that he is fully satisfied) and drove it for 10 hours all the way from VA to MD.
After the fact he wrote us an email stating that there are a few minor issues, for which he wants us to pay. Even though we had a mechanic check it out at his request, and have an invoice stating that everything is working, I was still considering paying for minor stuff to be courteous. Now the amount he's asking for is growing exponentially and I don't think it will ever stop.

He keeps pointing me to this contractual language:

"represented to be fully seaworthy with all engines, systems, equipment, electronics, machinery, accessories and appliances in good operating order, on the following terms and conditions, subject to a full and proper Spring Commissioning to be coordinated and paid by the Sellers."

Even though the contract also says:

6. DELIVERY - If everything works well and the *boat* operates per the expected standards set by the Manufacturer, the Buyers will then take delivery of the Boat. It will then be the responsibility of the Buyers to transport the Boat to its new home port at *** Maryland.
7. ACCEPTANCE AND DELIVERY OF THE BOAT - Once the keys to the Boat are handed over to the Buyer by the Sellers, it shall be presumed, for purposes of this Agreement, that the Buyer shall then be fully responsible for the Boat and, as such, will pay all registration costs, maintenance, slip costs, utilities etc. associated with the Boat (as if they were the Owners) from that point forward.

He kept on driving the boat for 10 hours, even though he claims (in writing) that he noticed discrepancies as soon as he left the slip!

Most of his claims are completely bogus. However he insists that "represented" part of the contract gives him green light to claim anything at any point.
I want my boat back, as I don't want to deal with this guy for another 5 years! We have a promissory note from him, which says that if he misses a payment for 60 days, we can sue him to get the boat and amount promised back. Can I at least sue him in small claims court for the $1,500 he is withholding now (in payments). Do I have a case, or is he correct that I am completely unprotected by this agreement???

Would appreciate any help,

Thanks!

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Hi, I have "sold" a boat to a guy, who claims to be an attorney. The agreement is an owner financing for 5 years. The purchase price was $40K (We still owe to the bank $70K!). He wrote up an agreement himself. I had a lawyer look it over and he did not alert me of any problems with it.

Now the buyer took the boat, without alerting us (we wanted to meet with him to make sure that he is fully satisfied) and drove it for 10 hours all the way from VA to MD.
After the fact he wrote us an email stating that there are a few minor issues, for which he wants us to pay. Even though we had a mechanic check it out at his request, and have an invoice stating that everything is working, I was still considering paying for minor stuff to be courteous. Now the amount he's asking for is growing exponentially and I don't think it will ever stop.

He keeps pointing me to this contractual language:

"represented to be fully seaworthy with all engines, systems, equipment, electronics, machinery, accessories and appliances in good operating order, on the following terms and conditions, subject to a full and proper Spring Commissioning to be coordinated and paid by the Sellers."

Even though the contract also says:

6. DELIVERY - If everything works well and the *boat* operates per the expected standards set by the Manufacturer, the Buyers will then take delivery of the Boat. It will then be the responsibility of the Buyers to transport the Boat to its new home port at *** Maryland.
7. ACCEPTANCE AND DELIVERY OF THE BOAT - Once the keys to the Boat are handed over to the Buyer by the Sellers, it shall be presumed, for purposes of this Agreement, that the Buyer shall then be fully responsible for the Boat and, as such, will pay all registration costs, maintenance, slip costs, utilities etc. associated with the Boat (as if they were the Owners) from that point forward.

He kept on driving the boat for 10 hours, even though he claims (in writing) that he noticed discrepancies as soon as he left the slip!

Most of his claims are completely bogus. However he insists that "represented" part of the contract gives him green light to claim anything at any point.
I want my boat back, as I don't want to deal with this guy for another 5 years! We have a promissory note from him, which says that if he misses a payment for 60 days, we can sue him to get the boat and amount promised back. Can I at least sue him in small claims court for the $1,500 he is withholding now (in payments). Do I have a case, or is he correct that I am completely unprotected by this agreement???

Would appreciate any help,

Thanks!
You had no legal right to sell the boat. Give the man his money back and take back the boat.

podruga

how so? I spoke to the bank, they don't care. We are still maintaingn payments to the bank and we still hold the title, untill he pays it off.

Antigone*

how so? I spoke to the bank, they don't care. We are still maintaingn payments to the bank and we still hold the title, untill he pays it off.
You are the registered owner, not the legal owner. You cannot sell the boat since you do not legally own it.

Look, I'm giving you the legal out you need to get your boat back. Hello ~ McFly:eek:. If you don't want it fine.

podruga

You are the registered owner, not the legal owner. You cannot sell the boat since you do not legally own it.

Look, I'm giving you the legal out you need to get your boat back. Hello ~ McFly:eek:. If you don't want it fine.
well.. that's interesting. However he says that he'll be happy to give me the boat back if I pay him $4K.. probably more now, cause he keeps doing an unautherized "repairs" to it. So far he only payed us $1800. Can limit my liablility to him to $1800 he actually payed?

JETX

Wow.... you really REALLY need to get an attorney to review ALL the terms and conditions.. with the intent of getting the boat back and undo-ing the 'deal'.

podruga

so the "represented" paragraph is really that bad??? I can't believe I payed an attorney to look at the contract and he did not say a word about it!

JETX

Some of the things that SCARE the crap out of me in your clearly ONE-SIDED 'agreement' are:

"The purchase price was $40K (We still owe to the bank $70K!)"
If you still owe the bank, you do NOT have a clear title to the boat and have no legal right to sell it!!

"I had a lawyer look it over and he did not alert me of any problems with it."
Your 'lawyer' is either the buyers brother... or he is a fraud.

"Now the buyer took the boat, without alerting us (we wanted to meet with him to make sure that he is fully satisfied) and drove it for 10 hours all the way from VA to MD."
How did he get keys and access to the boat??

FULLY SEAWORTHY?? No such 'legal definition'. This can be interpreted to mean anything that the buyer wants.... up to whenever the 'commissioning' occurs!!

"6. DELIVERY - If everything works well and the *boat* operates per the expected standards set by the Manufacturer, the Buyers will then take delivery of the Boat. It will then be the responsibility of the Buyers to transport the Boat to its new home port at *** Maryland."
CRAP.... 'expected standards set by the Manufacturer!!! That could be argued in AS NEW condition!!!
Also, compounded by the fact that the buyers already HAVE delivery and have transported!!!

"7. ACCEPTANCE AND DELIVERY OF THE BOAT - Once the keys to the Boat are handed over to the Buyer by the Sellers, it shall be presumed, for purposes of this Agreement, that the Buyer shall then be fully responsible for the Boat and, as such, will pay all registration costs, maintenance, slip costs, utilities etc. associated with the Boat (as if they were the Owners) from that point forward."
And this is contradicted by the previous clauses noted.
"

podruga

FULLY SEAWORTHY?? No such 'legal definition'. This can be interpreted to mean anything that the buyer wants.... up to whenever the 'commissioning' occurs!!
the commissioning has occured already! he drove the boat for 10 hours afterwords (this is about a third of what we put in on avarage summer) Then he wrote an email that engines ran good, he had a nice ride, but there were a few MINOR problems. He CCed the mechanic, mechanic replied, that half of the things were working when he checked them. Now the guy is saying - your mechanic is incompetant!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Read slowly:

Per the CONTRACT you have with the finance company, you have NO RIGHT to transfer any sort of ownership interest in the vessel.

ETA: Without their express (ie: WRITTEN) permission.

podruga

Read slowly:

Per the CONTRACT you have with the finance company, you have NO RIGHT to transfer any sort of ownership interest in the vessel.

ETA: Without their express (ie: WRITTEN) permission.
hm.. I called the bank, they said, we don't care what you do, as long as you maintain the payments. Of cause it does not constitute a written permission.
So what do I do now? Take him to court asking the judge to void the deal?? Will I have to pay the guy for his so-called "repairs"?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">