• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Request for evidence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Schmitty

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

My car was hit in the parking lot at work. There are 4 cameras, each with 9 hours of video. The security department can not (will not) give me a copy of the digital video.

I filed a police report, and have heard nothing from them.

The estimates for fixing the damage ranged from $500 to 1000+.

So, how do I get the video as evidence in a small claims trial or in order to determine on my own who hit my car?

Subpoena...? Can I do do this on my own?

ThanksWhat is the name of your state?

dcatz

You can get the video by way of subpoena (if they're still around), but to get subpoena power you need to have filed a case, and you don't know who to sue. Catch 22.

averad

Have you spoke to the owners or managers of the store or location that is under surveillance? You could possibly offer to pay the cost to duplicate the tape and explain you only need the portion dealing with your car. You could then could suggest a security officer could review the tape and give only the portions needed (again offer to pay).

All the above relies on them caring.

Schmitty

So I can't get a subpoena because I do not know who I would have to sue for the damages? That "sucks."

It happenned at my job, so I know the people that should be releasing the video. They say they can't because of office politics - the company does not want to become involved in a court case based on the video. No amount of money will get them to budge.

The head security guy said he would release the video to the police. Can the police subpoena the video? There are suspects (anyone on the video.) :rolleyes:

Thanks,
Schmitty

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">