• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resident of NC needs to file a case against company in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

firekeeper

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

If I wish to take a company based in Pennsylvania to small claims court in order to be paid money owed to me will I be required to go to Pennsylvania to file a case in small claims court or may I file here in North Carolina?

racer72

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

If I wish to take a company based in Pennsylvania to small claims court in order to be paid money owed to me will I be required to go to Pennsylvania to file a case in small claims court or may I file here in North Carolina?
Does the company have any assets or a physical presence in your state?

ForFun

You will have to go to Pennsylvania to sue.
Not necessarily. Depending on the OP's circumstances, even if the company has no physical presence in NC, NC courts may have personal jurisdiction over the company in the matter. He hasn't provided enough information to make a determination.

OP: What circumstances led this company to owe you money?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">