• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Respondeat Superior

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JR CARTER

What is the name of your state?ohio
Being a truck driver, tractor trailer. Employer suing for damage to trailer, claims to be my fault. Would respondeat superior be a defence? I was let go for this reason. They even refused to pay me for last week worked.

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

JR CARTER said:
What is the name of your state?ohio
Being a truck driver, tractor trailer. Employer suing for damage to trailer, claims to be my fault. Would respondeat superior be a defence? I was let go for this reason. They even refused to pay me for last week worked.
I have no idea what you are talking about.

Explain it clearly and without the use of any fancy legal terms.

rmet4nzkx

seniorjudge said:
I know what it means...obviously OP did not.
So did I but it wasn't worth the trouble to explain it to OP, he should seek counsel with an employment attorney to evaluate his case if he has any case.

tijerin

Regardless of the merits of their lawsuit against you, I don't think they can withhold you last week's pay for any reason. I'd check with your loca labor board. There are federal regulations regarding pay and what can and cannot be done with it. They'll help you for free if it's deemed that your employer withheld money illegally. Of course, whether you were an "employee" versus an "independent contractor" or something may have bearing, but I do not know. The lawsuit is a separate issue and I suggest you get an attorney. Don't trucking companies insure their rigs or is it your responsibility to insure it? What's the insurance's take on the matter? If you got in an accident, whether it was your fault or not, the insurance should cover it. This also could be construed as "work-related" if there were any injuries involved. there may be recourse there also. Talk to the labor board re; pay owed. Then an employment attorney re: the lawsuit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">