• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retrieving Small Claim Judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

connie1675

I am in Oregon. There was a terrible turn of events for a small boy where he lost his mother in a murder and one year later lost his dad in a hit and run accident. The dad was going through a divorce with his second wife when he died and so to make along story short the exwife got SS money for him along with her kids by the dad. The court ordered the stepmom to pay back the money to him and she hasn't and I am not sure what the next step is, is there a way to get a lien against her name?

I am really concerned she will get away with stealing from him to go along with the theft of his mothers life by a murderer and his dad in a hit and run accident.

Please help ;) Connie

racer72

You are talking of 2 different scenarios here.

1. If the money was ordered returned as part of a small claims action, the judgment holder has specific methods of remedy, such as garnishing wages, levying bank accounts or placing leins or siezing property. The judgment holder can hire an attorney to collect the money or Nolo Press has an excellent book on small claims court, including collecting the judgment.

2. If the money was order returned as part of a court decision, such as placing the child with someone to act as a legal guardian, then the stepmother can be called back into court and have contempt charges brought against her.

In either case a consultation with a local attorney would be the first step in resolving the matter.

JETX

connie1675 said:
I am really concerned she will get away with stealing from him to go along with the theft of his mothers life by a murderer and his dad in a hit and run accident.
So, what EXACTLY is your involvement in this issue???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">