• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

returning items from Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hccharger123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida.

Last June, my daughter was in a dire situation in Austin Texas. she stayed for a couple of days with a man which offered her help. She had some personal items of mine with her which i begged for her not to leave. I sent this man, $100 to cover the cost of shipping items to me. Long story short, she came home and left my things there.There have been numerous text messages between him and i . have tried and tried to get him to send my items to me. He has put me off for all this time. "When it's convienant" he says. Now he is not answering me. I do believe he still has my things, he sent me a picture to prove it, What can i do to get my possessions back to me?Cost: FreeUnited States | Florida*|* 34292 *|* General Civil Litigation

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Last June, my daughter was in a dire situation in Austin Texas. she stayed for a couple of days with a man which offered her help. She had some personal items of mine with her which i begged for her not to leave. I sent this man, $100 to cover the cost of shipping items to me. Long story short, she came home and left my things there.There have been numerous text messages between him and i . have tried and tried to get him to send my items to me. He has put me off for all this time. "When it's convienant" he says. Now he is not answering me. I do believe he still has my things, he sent me a picture to prove it, What can i do to get my possessions back to me?Cost: FreeUnited States | Florida*|* 34292 *|* General Civil Litigation
You can look to your daughter to handle this herself. She's the one with whom you entrusted your property, and she's the one who carelessly left it behind.

If he won't return them to you, both of you may need to go to Texas and get them yourselves. This man is under no obligation to be your personal delivery service.

hccharger123

You can look to your daughter to handle this herself. She's the one with whom you entrusted your property, and she's the one who carelessly left it behind.

If he won't return them to you, both of you may need to go to Texas and get them yourselves. This man is under no obligation to be your personal delivery service.
Thank you. I've offered to have it picked up by a courier service. He would only have to be home.

eerelations

You can sue him for the money in small claims court, and you will probably win. You can sue him for the stuff too, and you will either win the monetary value of the stuff or you will be advised to sue your daughter. This will all have to be done in Texas small claims court (except the suing the daughter part). You have no legal means to force this guy to send the stuff to you in Florida.

hccharger123

You can sue him for the money in small claims court, and you will probably win. You can sue him for the stuff too, and you will either win the monetary value of the stuff or you will be advised to sue your daughter. This will all have to be done in Texas small claims court (except the suing the daughter part). You have no legal means to force this guy to send the stuff to you in Florida.
Thank you.
Would i have to appear in court ? Hardly worth it for that small amount of money. It's my stuff i want ! May not seen to be a big deal to some and it's not something i can sue her for. I

sandyclaus

Thank you.
Would i have to appear in court ? Hardly worth it for that small amount of money. It's my stuff i want ! May not seen to be a big deal to some and it's not something i can sue her for. I
Yup, you would. In TEXAS.

Like I said before, make your daughter go and get your things. She is the one that left them there.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
And when he doesn't return a thing to you?
Because he doesn't have to give a thing to you, OP. This man doesn't have to present anything to you. Your daughter is the one who left the stuff there. Your daughter is the one who should retrieve it. And if she won't, sue your daughter for leaving your stuff in Texas.

hccharger123

Because he doesn't have to give a thing to you, OP. This man doesn't have to present anything to you. Your daughter is the one who left the stuff there. Your daughter is the one who should retrieve it. And if she won't, sue your daughter for leaving your stuff in Texas.
While i understand, now, that he is under no legal obligation. ..... doesn't the fact that he said he would do it matter? My daughter is in no position to take the trip. Unless, of course, I pay for it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
While i understand, now, that he is under no legal obligation. ..... doesn't the fact that he said he would do it matter? My daughter is in no position to take the trip. Unless, of course, I pay for it.
Nope. Why? Because there is no evidence that this is YOUR stuff. You might have receipts for similar items BUT your daughter is the one who left them there. Pay for your daughter to go get it. Or sue your daughter for HER irresponsibility.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">