• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right for Reimbursement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dkjtd

What is the name of your state? California

This weekend my family went camping and paid for three nights. On day 2, my husband and the owner of the property got into a disagreement about the lack of "no trespassing" signs. My husband apologized and tried to leave the area but the owner said he already called the police. My husband was ok with that as it would be settled at that point. After 30 minutes the police were not there so my husband told the owner he was leaving and what campsite he could find him at. I arrived at this point. I took over the OHV that my husband was driving so he could ride back with my sister, trying to calm the situation. The owner then told me if I drove the OHV that I would be cited for trespassing. I said that was fine, but I was not leaving our vehicle where it was. I drove away and was going to make a right up a road. All of a sudden this man comes rushing up on my right side and blocks me with his vehicle. He got out of his vehicle and stood in front of mine. I asked him why he was trying to make me crash into him. His response was "you didn't hit me". I then told him to move out of the way so I could continue on. He would not move. He asked "are you going to hit me?" I put the vehicle in reverse, backed up and went back where I was coming from. While I was doing this, he continued to try to jump in front of me. I finally got away from him and back to camp. At this point he drove his vehicle down and parked directly across from our site. He had a camera recording us the whole time he was sitting there (we did walk by the vehicle and saw the image of what he was recording). We attempted to purchase something from the store on the property and he refused service to us. Finally after about 3 hours the police did show up. He told my husband the owner wants us to leave because of the "choice words" my husband had with him earlier in the day. We didn't argue, but did request a refund for the night of camping that we paid for that we were unable to use since the owner was kicking us out. The owner refused to refund the money. We ended up packing up our stuff, plus the 4 children that were with us and went to a hotel about an hour away. Here are my questions:

1. Am I entitled to a refund since he refused to let us stay at the property?
2. Can I take him to small claims and sue for harassment since he physically blocked my vehicle and was basically trying to hold me and my vehicle hostage?
3. Can I sue for reimbursement of the hotel?
4. Can I sue for him video recording me and my family for hours on end?

Thanks in advance for any and all input...the good, the bad and the ugly! I am really aggrivated with this guy and do feel that I was victimized in one way or another.

Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">