• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rings lost in transit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pmcindy

What is the name of your state? Iowa

Took daughters rings to jeweler for repairs....estimated cost 200.00 They was sent to gold smith for repairs and rings were lost ....He states I can get the money for the rings minus the cost for repairs ....Due to the fact that they was purchased 5 years ago the jeweler wants to pay the 550.00 minus the 200.00 for repairs with a total cost of 350.00 from him . Is this kosher ??? The replacement cost for these rings if purchased today is 750.00 I have been on this for 13 months now and he just does not want to take care of it my way. I feel i am the victim . I am insistent on getting the replacement cost for the rings. Do i have a good case for small claims court?

Last edited:

P

pmcindy

so i should take my certificate of replacement supplied by the original place of purchase ......and go for the 750.00 replacement cost. And not agree to pay him 200.00 less for the repairs that never happened ..
he has agreed to replace the rings for me , but i do not want to deal with him anymore .....every time i have contacted him he tells me something different , like i need to see what the rings are valued at before i can give u the money and when i did he argued that also ...if i wanted a replacement set i would go to a more reputable jeweler..

JETX

"every time i have contacted him he tells me something different , like i need to see what the rings are valued at before i can give u the money and when i did he argued that also"
*** That is one of the problems with trying to resolve things verbally. Go ahead and try to negotiate some type of settlement. When done, make a quick note of the agreement and then ask him to confirm it in writing. If he doens't, then you can certainly make notes of the agreement and ask him to sign it. If he still refuses, then that should tell you all that you need to know of his character and send you to the courthouse.

"if i wanted a replacement set i would go to a more reputable jeweler.."
*** And that is going to be the problem, he is not going to 'eat' 100% of whatever you settle on. He is in the business and is going to want to provide whatever services or goods to resolve (and that is fair). You may not feel comfortable with him, but that will probably be the only choice you have. If he does insist on doing the work, make sure that you have some provision for getting the work independently appraised, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">