• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ripped off - do I need proof

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

halfceo

What is the name of your state? missouri

I live in Missouri and bought a car from a dealer in IL. I bought the car (a 1992) with 118K miles on it for $1600 and then decides to run the carfax 2 weeks later; and found out it has 170K plus. The title is original and says mileage not required (because car is older then 10 years old). The dealer swears he does not know anything about the car - he bought the car at auction, told me he discloused everything he knew - I signed "as-is where-is" aggrement/contract with a mileage disclusure and he basically told me to get lost... The bill of sale however, says 118K - to the best of the dealer's knowledge... In the for sale ad of the car, its also written that Dealer does not know anything about car and encourages buyers to take car to mechanic.

The carfax says the car had 170K in 04... The dealer says he called toyota and they dont have any recorder mileage for car so I have to come up with "real" proof in order to get my money back...

Are there any damages I can sue for? or just face the fact of getting ripped off? I bought the car in Illinois - do I have to sue in IL?

a 1992 Toyota Camry with 118K is worth 2600 hundred
with 170K is worth 1600... I bought the car for 1600....

Any advice would be appreciated....

Last edited:

halfceo

Well, the dealer was selling the car on ebay and the high bidder did not buy it after winning the car. I was the 2nd chance offer buyer. So I contacted the high bidder and asked why she did not buy the car (because I was curious as to why she did not). She told me to run a carfax and so I did...

halfceo

yes...I know its very stupid on my part - but this dealer has all positive feedback and seemed like an honest guy... Is there absolutely nothing I can do... How can I prove that the mileage was rolled back or at least the dealer knew about? I had the high bidder write me a letter stating that she too saw the carfax.... Is there anything I can do. I think the dealer knew about the miles being rolled back...

cant I at least report him or something... isnt this a federal offense?

Last edited:

moburkes

Why do you think that this dealer, with great feedback, lied for your ONE single transaction? What portion of the liability are you willing to accept for not doing your research before you purchased the vehicle?

halfceo

I am accepting 100 percent of the liability of getting screwed on this deal. I DID NOT do the carfax prior and DID NOT take advantage of taking this car to a mechanic prior to buying it.

BUT, from the legal standpoint - do I have a case. So YES, I am stupid for buying it (I have realized this already) but isnt there any consequences for the dealer that sold me a car with rolled back mileage?

That is a fair question!

halfceo

Thanks... I read this before!

The thing is - the dealer had the car for only 2 weeks - and bought car from a public auction. Says he does not know anything, did not change anything and that's that - as he put it...

So I guess, if I cant prove he knew anything about it - I am out of luck....

HOWEVER - now that he knows its not the accurate mileage - does my contract with him still stand or is he entitled to give me money back?

moburkes

Sure, he can give you your meony back if he chooses to do that. You bought the vehicle AS IS, though, and he's probably not going to choose to give you a refund.

halfceo

so by him finding out this new information (incorrect mileage) does not put any responcibility on him as the dealer? (this will be my last question - as I realize I got screwed and its completely my fault! for not doing pre-research)

BelizeBreeze

The answer is in your own recitation of the facts.

halfceo said:
a 1992 Toyota Camry with 118K is worth 2600 hundred
with 170K is worth 1600... I bought the car for 1600....
You were NOT ripped off. You paid what the car was worth.

Even if you did have proof that the mileage as stated by CarFax is correct, you have no case unless you can PROVE the dealer knew of the mileage or rolled it back him/herself.

Move on. You don't have a case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">