• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Room mate left state no notice stole TV and owes money for bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HunterWi

Henderson, Nevada. 10 days before rent was due ($750) he left the state today. He stole TV and has not been paying utilities as he was suppose to. Our power was shut off today after last night he said we owed $300, I gave him $200 and he is using that money for gas to drive back to North Carolina assuming. He's the main tenant on our lease, I'm a room mate on file. I went to file a small claims case and they said I have to send a letter regarding the suit but his address is here, where he's obviously not coming back to and I don't know his parents address. Keep in mind this is almost a 40 year old man he couldn't pay rent because he was playing video games for 2 months straight. What do I do here?

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Henderson, Nevada. 10 days before rent was due ($750) he left the state today. He stole TV and has not been paying utilities as he was suppose to. Our power was shut off today after last night he said we owed $300, I gave him $200 and he is using that money for gas to drive back to North Carolina assuming. He's the main tenant on our lease, I'm a room mate on file. I went to file a small claims case and they said I have to send a letter regarding the suit but his address is here, where he's obviously not coming back to and I don't know his parents address. Keep in mind this is almost a 40 year old man he couldn't pay rent because he was playing video games for 2 months straight. What do I do here?
You can file a police report about the TV. You could most likely find his parents' address by making use of any one of the people-search websites, although I believe you're able to send the letter to his last known address (the apartment where you now live).

adjusterjack

This is just one of many roommate sob stories that I read here every day.

The harsh reality is that, unless you are willing and able to sue him in North Carolina where he went, you can forget it and just eat your losses and get on with your life as best you can.

Lesson for the future: Don't live with roommates. Get a two by nothing studio or efficiency if that's all you can afford on your own. If you can't afford that, go back and live with your parents.

HunterWi

You can file a police report about the TV. You could most likely find his parents' address by making use of any one of the people-search websites, although I believe you're able to send the letter to his last known address (the apartment where you now live).
I went to file a police report the other day, but they said because he was my room mate and he didn't break into the place, there's basically nothing that can be done about it. I'm filing a lawsuit against him though, and I will win because he won't show up for it. it'll be for under $2,500 so it won't cost much. He owes me about $1,250

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I went to file a police report the other day, but they said because he was my room mate and he didn't break into the place, there's basically nothing that can be done about it. I'm filing a lawsuit against him though, and I will win because he won't show up for it. it'll be for under $2,500 so it won't cost much. He owes me about $1,250
I don't know how you expect to successfully prevail in a lawsuit for which you cannot even serve him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">