• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

roomate moved out and took car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jrng

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky
Roomate moved out took car that in my name. Police said I could not do anything because I gave him permission to use it. He moved to ohio. He took items of mine too. I am on ssi and he took advange of me. Someone please help me.

jrng

no I don't. I have where he works but I called that police department and they said they wont do anything.

justalayman

You are going to have to do some investigation to determine where he lives. Once you find that out, send him a registered letter demanding he relinquish the vehicle to you (mind you, you are not likely to be able to demand he actually return it to you). If he accepts the letter and then refuses to release the car to you, then you have a car that is being held illegally.

Do you have any idea where in Ohio he moved to? If so, try contacting the police in that area and explain to them your situation and ask if there is anything they can do for you. I wouldn't expect much but you never know until you ask.

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky
Roomate moved out took car that in my name. Police said I could not do anything because I gave him permission to use it. He moved to ohio. He took items of mine too. I am on ssi and he took advange of me. Someone please help me.
Did you actually tell the police you gave him permission to use your vehicle ?

latigo

Well since you gave permission, he has done nothing wrong.
I don’t wish to come across as disrespectful, yet I don’t’ see the logic to your response.

This jaybird of roommate skipped out of town, left the state, took the OP’s vehicle and other stuff, no forwarding address, has not returned the vehicle nor given the owner to know where he can find and recover it, and you are saying that the guy did nothing wrong?

True, it is given that the guy was authorized to use the vehicle, but we don’t know the terms, conditions, purpose, duration and geographical scope of any such permitted usage, or whether or not consideration passed.

It would be reasonable for the OP to interpret your response as meaning that once an owner of personal property grants possessory use of it to another, that such possession can never evolve into an act of criminal appropriation. And that isn’t sound law. An embezzler is presupposed to have a possessory right.

(And why couldn’t this be an act of embezzlement as well as violation of the Dyer Act - 18 USCS § 2311 et seq.)

Plus your post seems to overlook the right of the owner to withdraw consent to the use.

If the OP told some donut receptacle hiding in a Kentucky cop’s garb that he expressly agreed that the guy could take his car across the Ohio River to some unknown address and keep it indefinitely, that is one thing and your response would be right on.

But we don’t have that one thing and it is absurd to think that this much distraught and seemingly little educated OP will confess to it.

BL

Yes I told the police I gave him permission. I called the place he works and they said he off all week.
So what was the permission to use for ?

For how long ?

Perhaps the police just asked did you give permission and you said ,yes and that was all ?

Law enforcement kinda looks at it this way. Once you gave permission it's no longer unauthorized use.

jrng

So what was the permission to use for ?

For how long ?

Perhaps the police just asked did you give permission and you said ,yes and that was all ?

Law enforcement kinda looks at it this way. Once you gave permission it's no longer unauthorized use.
I gave permission to use car but it was will he lived with me only. I left the house for two weeks because my sister was very sick and when I came back he was gone and was told he moved in with his girl friend and never text him again. All I know is his girl friend lives in Ohio and I know where is works but now that place said he quit. I have requested the title from state of KY and trying to get restration paper too. When I get them. I will go to Ohio state police and fill a report with it being stolen. The problem is that I don't have license plate number. I will get all this in a couple days and then talk to the state police.

justalayman

3222016]I gave permission to use car but it was will he lived with me only
.did you say that to him though? If not, the terms of lending the car are ambiguous enough to see the continued use as it being by permission.

I left the house for two weeks because my sister was very sick and when I came back he was gone and was told he moved in with his girl friend and never text him again.
so since you weren't there and apparently not even aware he was leaving, it is sounding more and more like you never said:
as long as we live together you can use my car

The problem is that I don't have license plate number.
what do you mean you don't have a license plate number? If it is your car, you should have access to those records with the state of KY if you do not actually have them at home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">