• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roomate Problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jasonpusch

What is the name of your state?OK

We were on vacation and came back to a roomate free home. She decided to move out without notice. She isn't on the lease, but is on a roomate agreement form with the landlord. The landlord said that we would have to take care of it ourselfs. She owed us 200 from the previous month and moved out 3 days before rent was due this month. Is there anything I can do? Thanks

JETX

jasonpusch said:
Is there anything I can do?
Other than trying to get her to pay you, your only real option is to pursue your demand in small claims court. However, your chance of success will hinge largely on your ability to show the court that a rental obligation existed.

J

jasonpusch

BelizeBreeze said:
Do you have a contract with her yourself?
No, no contract with her. Waiting for the landlord to send her signed copy of the roomate agreement. I think she took our copy, so awaiting what is says in detail on that. Looks like I'm pretty much screwed....I have bank statements of past checks of hers that didn't clear, so maybe I would have a good chance in court.

JETX

jasonpusch said:
I have bank statements of past checks of hers that didn't clear, so maybe I would have a good chance in court.
Those bad checks are a different, and much easier issue to pursue.

Any person who makes or passes a false or bogus check or checks in the State of Oklahoma may be guilty of a felony under §1541, Chapter 61, Title 21 of the Oklahoma Statutes. "False or bogus check or checks" is defined as checks which are not honored because of insufficient funds, or because the checks were drawn on a closed or nonexistent account when they are given in exchange for money or property or in exchange for any benefit or thing of value. The maker of a bogus check is presumed to have intent to defraud and the knowledge of insufficiency at the time the check was written if he fails to pay the holder the amount of the check and the protest fees within five (5) days from the date it is presented for payment and the check is presented for payment within thirty (30) days after it is delivered or accepted. (21-61-1541.4.) The fine for a violation is an amount not to exceed $5,000. (21-61-1541.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">