• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roomate Skipping on Apartment Lease Early

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joeynicks

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Situation:

My roomate and I signed a 1 year lease on an apartment. The end of the lease is September 30, 2010. My roomate is leaving on August 31, 2010 and refuses to pay the final month's rent (September) although he is leaving early and I am staying in the apartment. Rent is $1300.00 a month. Utilities: $200.00 per month. We should both be splitting everything evenly agreeing to $750 per month each of us.

Our agreement:

We both share the cost of living in the apartment. 1/2 the rent. 1/2 the utilities. 1/2 internet and cable. I pay the tranfer of the deposit fee of $150.00.

Story:

My roommate claims he is not responsible for paying for the final month because he is leaving early and I am not and he wants his full deposit back since I am staying.

(The deposit on the apartment is $450.00 which he claims belongs to him. He broke the door to his room and the walls need repainting which will cost $100.00 to repair. This leaves a balance of $350.00 due to him if we both leave at the end of the contract.)

My girlfriend has been staying over as a guest in my room and now my room mate claims he will charge my girlfriend by suing her for the number of days she has stayed which should clear him from paying the last month's rent if I try to pursue legal action against him for the remainder of the rent due.

Question:

Can my room mate skip on the last month's rent and leave me with the balance due?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">