• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roomates taking me to court after stealing my stuff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rinsquared

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pittsburgh

At the beginning of last month I told my roomate I was moving out. the last week of July she questioned me about when I was going to give her money I owed from back in January from when she covered me for the rent (about 275$) I told her I would pay her when I got paid, which was the following Friday when I pay the rent for July. I've always paid the rent on time, and I've worked really hard to pay her back, giving her money whenever I had a chance. I told her that just because I was moving out didn't mean I was skipping out on her since I was only moving 15 minutes away. A couple days later I moved a bunch of boxes out of the apartment along with some select furniture. I left boxes in the basement and I also left my cat and a chair since I wasn't going to be living in my new place until the beginning of August I wasn't going to leave my cat there. The day after I got the boxes into my apartment I noticed one was missing. Turns out she stole it before I even moved out. Now she claims I "left it behind" even though she admitted to me and a friend that she was "holding it for assurance." I told her if thats the way she was going to play it she can keep my stuff and forget about me paying her. Then one day she had the locks changed, and took my name off the lease with my stuff still in the apartment claiming "the police will think you abandoned you stuff." so I filed a police report that she stole. She confirmed with the police officer that she did have my stuff. We had an agreement that if she brought my stuff to my work I'd pay her, and that would be that. But she didn't bring anything, and any time I tried to get her to take me to my stuff she assured me it was fine and in the apartment. Thats a huge lie. After I found out the box was missing I went back to the apartment and checked everywhere for it because I thought that maybe I actually misplaced it, this was before I knew she took it. Ever since then its been lie after lie, and now shes taking me to court for over 1000$. I need to know if she has any grounds for this considering there was no written contract, and she broke 2 verbal contracts I tried to make with her. Also, I was never on the lease as a leaseholder, just an occupant and she was paying per month and owed the rental office over 1000$ when I first moved in even! I don't know what to do, but I want to know what I can do. I know I owed my share of months rent before I left, but as far as I know she paid them up till August. I don't even care about getting my stuff back, I just want her to leave me alone.

-Melanie

PS: I forgot to mention, shes pretty psycho and has a terrible temper. I haven't been able to reason with her because when shes right, shes right and theres NOTHING you can do to change her mind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">