• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate and best friend= no rent money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

x26she03x

What is the name of your state? california

in october one of my best friends since 1st grade and my boy friend and i moved in together. the agreement was we were splitting the rent in half. the whole rent was 795 so she would pay 397.50 for rent since she has her own room and my boy friend and i would split 397.50 in half since we are sharing a room, but we would obviouly pay more since we had the master bedroom. well the only thing she paid was rent one time in october. 397.50. she didnt even pay the deposit. my bf and i came up w/ the 500 and put it up ourselves.

in january we ended up moving into a 1 bdr and kicking her out cause she didnt pay nov or dec's rent. everyday since novemeber 1st she was telling us that she will give us the rent money "tomorrow". we have a 3 day grace period so that was okay. on the 3rd still no rent so we had to fork up her half for her as well as ours. everyday from the 3rd till dec 1st.. same thing.. finally i told her that if its not paid we were going to kick her out. she didnt come home for a couple of days. so had to fork up her half of that months rent once again. finally on the 3rd of october she came over to get her friends close she left. we asked here where the rent money was and at first she ignored us. i think she was tired of us asking her everday but i was more tired of asking her for it everyday myself. finally she said she doesnt have it.

we had her sign her name off the lease that day cause we didnt want to pay anymore months of rent for her to take advantage of us. obviously she hadnt been planning on paying. she left her stuff there that whole month. now its jan. we are in a different apt and she hasnt paid us one dime or picked up here stuff.

i want to know if i can charge her for nov and decs rent. or if legally i can only charge her for nov and then pro rate 3 days in dec? cause she never gave us a 30 day notice and her stuff was still there in dec. yeah its still here in jan but its just him and i on the lease now, were in a totally different apt and its a 1 bdr. we gave her plently of oppertunities to move out if she couldnt afford it but since we signed a lease w/her she knew we would/had to pay so why would she move out.

i feel that she should pay both months of rent cause she signed a lease for 6 months, didnt sign it off before dec, she signed her name off in dec. so we were expecting that half to be paid from her. plus she owed us last months too. plus utilities and stuff. we didnt have 30 notive or anything. we gave her one cause we knew that if it really came to kicking her out we couldnt cause her name was on the lease. if our 30 days was up thats okay cause if she cant afford to pay her half how is she going to afford to pay ours as well.

if you can look at it, yeah her name was signed off on dec 3rd, but her stuff was still there. storage=rent.

please help me out and give me some advised on what to do.

oh and she thinks shes entitled to half of the secuirty deposit. for one, i payed that along w. everything else and the proof is i paid w/ my chk book/account. 2nd of all when she signed her name off the lease it says on there that she has no right to any of that.

if you have any other questions please contact me **thanks alot***

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">