• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

roommate furniture dispute massachusetts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jennysfinearts

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Hi, I have a friend who's ex roomate is threatening to sue. They shared an apartment the old roommate bought furniture, tv's, cable, phone and internet services along with little home things such as dishes and accessories. My spartan friend was out of work and had his own belongings and was out of work at the time. He expressed to the roommate that he couldn't afford the things this kid wanted to buy. The old roommate told him I want these things I want this to feel like home and don't worry I'll take care of it. Everything is in the old roomates name and there was no signed agreements. To top it off he had his girlfriend living there not paying anything towards rent and bills. So my friend was paying half of everything when he should have been paying a third.

Do you think the old roommate has a chance in court? I'd be a witness since i saw everything. Thanks so much for your help.

LdiJ

ENASNI said:
What is he being sued for exactly?

The Furniture?
Seriously...unless your friend kept posession of things belonging to the roommate or owes for phone/cable/internet charges in excess of the roommates normal cost I can't imagine what the roommate could sue for.

jennysfinearts

thanks

Thanks for being so quick you are all rocking my socks off! The exroommate is saying he's going to sue for the furniture, tv and probably every other little thing he bought for himself (like utensils and dishes)

Nothing was signed by my friend...everything was bought on the exroommates credit cards. No written agreements. My friend took only what he brought into the apartment he didn't take any of the things that his ex roommate bought. In my eyes that means it's the exroommates and the ex should sell the things if he doesn't want them and make a profit.

any other imput would be appreciated.

ENASNI

Wow

I rocked someones socks??
I never did that before....

I think I can safely post he can tell his ex-roomie to pound sand..

There is no proof of ownership in your friend's hands... I really don't understand how the guy can think he would owe anything.

OR...your friend could go reciprocal on him...and say.. "I want to sell that stuff if you think its half mine dude... and make a profit off it"...
I mean... really... some people... :rolleyes:

If I am wrong...you bet your rocking-socks someone will post after me and call me an ninny or something stronger... so hold on to them feet-coverings :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">