• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate left door open, then theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

astroe

Not exactly sure where I should have placed this thread, so sorry if it should be somewhere else.

I am a university student living in a house with 3 other housemates. Last weekend I was away from campus and when I returned, my guitar was missing. Apparently one of my roommates left the door unlocked when he left at some point, and my guitar was stolen. I'm really pissed at him and want him to pay me the value of the guitar--I mean he left the door unlocked and I wasn't even at home at the time.

I'm not considering legal action, but just between the two of us, is he liable? Should he pay me the value of the guitar?

Thanks.

Just Blue

Not exactly sure where I should have placed this thread, so sorry if it should be somewhere else.

I am a university student living in a house with 3 other housemates. Last weekend I was away from campus and when I returned, my guitar was missing. Apparently one of my roommates left the door unlocked when he left at some point, and my guitar was stolen. I'm really pissed at him and want him to pay me the value of the guitar--I mean he left the door unlocked and I wasn't even at home at the time.

I'm not considering legal action, but just between the two of us, is he liable? Should he pay me the value of the guitar?

Thanks.
U.S. Law Only.

sandyclaus

Thanks.
1) US LAW ONLY (why, oh why did you delete the question about where you live and then not answer the question???)

2) Was anything missing besides your guitar?

3) How can you be sure that one of your roommates is at fault for not locking a door?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">