• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate moved out & refusing to pay utilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ezekiel Tran

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

My roomate lived here for 3.5 months and left without paying utilities & claims she doesnt owe anything since utility bills are in my name. Her name was on the lease to the apartment, however. Do I have any recourse or are my odds even in SC negligible?

swalsh411

You owe the full amount to the utility company of course since they are in your name. If you can show there was an arragement for her to pay them, you can sue her. She might claim they were included in her rent payment.

Ezekiel Tran

Thanks. What do I have to do to show that? She paid the first two bills with cash. The total for the last 4 bills (water & power) came to $411. Will an affidavit signed by the tenant next door stating she was here the majority of the time running the AC (july, aug, sept) carry weight in SC?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">