• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate Moved Out-Of-State And Bailed on $500...Best Recourse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

domarice

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I had a roommate who gave me a check for rent in May. The check was for $503. I misplaced the check and didn't find it until a week ago. I had never deposited it, obviously. Since that time, the roommate has moved to Las Vegas, Nevada.

I contacted the ex-roommate about the check. He claimed that he gave me another check to make up for the lost one. I told him that I would check my past deposits to see if there was any record of the "extra" check. There wasn't.

Now the ex-roommate is not answering my emails nor my calls. I am in Los Angeles, and I don't know his new address. I do know where he works, though.

What is the best path to follow?

Thank you so much!

Dandy Don

Talk to an attorney familiar with small claims court procedures in your city to find out if you sue him in small claims court here and get a judgment against him, can it be collected in the state where he lives now by garnisheeing his wages or attaching his bank account (which you will have to hire a private investigator to find out where he does his banking).

krazemyk

Obviously the check might BOUNCE if its no good - causing a bank fee. I would try and find out what his pay schedule is like - then on his pay day try and cash the check at the same branch of bank.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Obviously the check might BOUNCE if its no good - causing a bank fee. I would try and find out what his pay schedule is like - then on his pay day try and cash the check at the same branch of bank.
And, just as obviously, the check my clear the bank and then you're making a big deal about nothing. :rolleyes:

Go to the bank the check was drawn on and attempt to cash it. If there's not enough money, then you won't have any bank fees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">