• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

roommate not on the lease due credit history

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hanaim11

What is the name of your state? GA

I�fve lived in two-bedroom apartment since July2002, and my roommate also signed up for the lease a month later Aug2002 but did not qualify due to his credit history. Apt. office never notified me about it and they gave him a security gate key to access the apt. before the disqualification was reported. The roommate also kept it in secret to live there.

Now he owns rent payments and his portion of bills and took off with his valuables/belongings. He�fs still receiving mail at our apt. and I think his residency is well established.

Can I claim my damages in small claim court?

HomeGuru

hanaim11 said:
What is the name of your state? GA

I?fve lived in two-bedroom apartment since July2002, and my roommate also signed up for the lease a month later Aug2002 but did not qualify due to his credit history. Apt. office never notified me about it and they gave him a security gate key to access the apt. before the disqualification was reported. The roommate also kept it in secret to live there.

Now he owns rent payments and his portion of bills and took off with his valuables/belongings. He?fs still receiving mail at our apt. and I think his residency is well established.

Can I claim my damages in small claim court?
**A: yes. And what software program are you using?

H

hanaim11

Dear HomeGuru,

Thank you so much for your reply.

My Apt. office's rejected my requests bellow, they said this has to be solved with him not the office.

Would you (or anyone viewing this) agree that the office should not..

1. seek my responsibility for any damage including his key/security gate remote in case of no return, and security deposit for cleaning in the room that he had stayed?

2. put any records under my name regarding the roommate's rudeness such as late payments due his bank's non-sufficient funds.

(program? I use XP/word.)

H

hanaim11

Only my name is on the lease due to the roommate did not qualify as a resident at the Apt.

I found out about the fact in May2003 when the office sent me a lease renewal offer for the next year with only my name to sign.

HomeGuru

hanaim11 said:
Only my name is on the lease due to the roommate did not qualify as a resident at the Apt.

I found out about the fact in May2003 when the office sent me a lease renewal offer for the next year with only my name to sign.
**A: your circumstances are not as you seem to make it. In August 2002, from that time that your roommate moved in, you had a chance to request a copy of your lease and inquire as to the status of the roommate. If you did, at that time you could have taken the management company to court to rectify the problem.
Since the company issued the keys and allowed the indivdudual to move it, (even if they tell you they did not qualfiy this person) they legally created a Landlord Tenant relationship between the 2 parties. As such, you legally had an official roommate on a verbal month to month lease.
If there was no subtenacy involved, you would have to sue the property management company on a counter claim if they sue for rent owed that the roommate did not pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">