• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate owes me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BlueStructure

What is the name of your state? Maryland

For the months of November, December, January, and half of Febuary - my former roommate never paid me half of our 1200 dollar.

I still ask him about it and he keeps lying and telling me hes going to pay me something. Anyways, both our names was on the 1 year lease. I have a copy of every lease check paid to 1200 dollars for every single month we lived there. I, actually paid the full 1200 from my personal account while he "sometimes" paid me what he could and was late at times.

I would like to know how to go about this situation. I dont know much about courts in MD. Do I need a lawyer for small claims?? Please help ! :confused:

JETX

The limit in Maryland small claims is only $2500, so if your amount of damages (amounts that you paid on his behalf) are less than that, you can file in small claims court. No, you do not need a lawyer in small claims. You simply tell your version of the facts and present proof of your claim to the court. The other party then gets to tell their version and show their proof (or challenge to yours). The court then decides who 'wins' and renders a judgment.

For a how-to, go to:
http://www.courts.state.md.us/district/smallclaims.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">