• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

roommate owes money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

phenyl

I live in CA.

Hi all,
I rent a 2 bdrm apt, and I allowed a friends' friend to move in with me a year ago. He never went on the lease, it is only in my name. He has been great with the rent/utilities until recently... now he owes me 2 months of utilites and part of June's rent, approximately $300. I was wondering if I can take this guy to small claims courts, considering he isin't on the lease. Please let me know what can be done, thanks.

JETX

Does this person still live with you?? If so, then filing a lawsuit will only apply to the current debt and you would have to file another suit later. Also, if he/she does still live with you, you will have to go through the full 'eviction' process.

If this person has moved out, then, yes you can file a small claims action to try to recover your damagess incurred due to their breach.

Last edited:
T

Terry7

and what the hell is sill liver with someone ?
Is that a legal term ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">