• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

roommate owes money on utilities, rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

linux007

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Kentucky

Hey all,

I moved from Kentucky to west coast 3 months ago after staying a year with a roommate. He turned out to be a total jackass in the end after I left. He owed me a several hundreds of dollars in rent and utility payments. Now that I have moved way far off, he is taking advantage of the situation and refuses to pay me what he owes.

I am planning to take the swindler to small claims court. I have the following questions:

1) Since he is still in KY and I am based out of KY, do I need to file with a court in KY?
2) Secondly, I have spent dozens of hours trying to recover the money. He has defaulted for several months. Is it possible to add additional charges(interest on the amount) since it simply isnt fair that I expect him to pay exactly what is due after all these months?

My situation means that I will have to travel to KY on this case so is Small Claims Court usually okay with a claim that expects the defendant to re-imburse the plaintiff's cost of travel, time and case preparation? I am asking this since I want to have a good grasp of what case preparation is going to cost me as I start on it.

Thanks in advance for your information :)

Cheerio,
R.P (the linux guy)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">