• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate problem..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lg123

I had a very bad experience with a roommate recently. I have signed the lease of an apartment. She is not in the lease. She had vacated the apt., but while vacating, she banged my head against the wall and I broke her lens. While vacating, she stole my garage remote worth $75 and she is blackmailing me that I have to give her $350 for her broken lens. She says if I don't pay her $350, she would go to small court. Please suggest me how to proceed further.

Last edited:

sandyclaus

I had a very bad experience with a roommate recently. I have signed the lease of an apartment. She is not in the lease. She had vacated the apt., but while vacating, she banged my head against the wall and I broke her lens. While vacating, she stole my garage remote worth $75 and she is blackmailing me that I have to give her $350 for her broken lens. She says if I don't pay her $350, she would go to small court. Please suggest me how to proceed further.
Unless you have proof that she injured you (witnesses, police report, medical records), that's going to be hard to prove. A broken lens that you admit to breaking is another story entirely. You broke her lens. You'll have to pay for it.

You can file a police report for the stolen garage remote if you wish, and you might get an offset of that amount against what you owe for the lens.

lg123

I have another roommate who had seen the scene. The roommate who vacated the apartment banged my head against the wall, but nothing serious happened to me. If my third roommate says that she banged my head against the wall, will the judge be favourable towards me?

Also I am not sure how come she is demanding $350 when she doesnt have any bill or something?

Just Blue

I have another roommate who had seen the scene. The roommate who vacated the apartment banged my head against the wall, but nothing serious happened to me. If my third roommate says that she banged my head against the wall, will the judge be favourable towards me?

Also I am not sure how come she is demanding $350 when she doesnt have any bill or something?
U.S Law Only.

TigerD

What is this lens?

Please tell me you meant legs.

As in, she banged my head against the wall and I broke her legs. It makes so much more sense. And could even be worth $350.

DC

lg123

She has torn my dress.
She dint pay rent for 4 days ( she was not there but she had left some of her stuff in my apartment for 4 days)

Can I claim for the above?

lg123

If I loose the case, will I have to pay all the money incurred by the opposite party? Will I loose the credit history?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">