• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate refund rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Blueidoll

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I rented a room from a lady while on a job traveling. No written agreement was made but I paid rent faithfully.(canceled checks show)

Well when she refused to fix items around her house like for instance some of her lights quite working because of faulty wiring she refused to get them fixed and she then decided to move a male into the house without any discussion with me I then chose to leave.
(I had lived through one electrical fire and did not want to stay around for another)

This happened around the middle of a month and my rent for the full month was paid in full. Before I signed a lease on another place I asked her if I could get a refund for the half a month I was not there she said yes but she would have to borrow the money right now. I then told her I would agree to let her wait until she got her monthly check next month she said ok. Since then she refuses to answer any calls or returns calls. I have my cell phone log that show the calls made and have recently sent a certified letter asking her to at least discuss the matter with me. I also have the lease from the other place that shows me renting on the 15th and the canceled check she cashed for the whole month.

Do I have a decent claim to take her to small claims court? And if so what else could I do to back myself up with evidence and such?

Your advise would be greatly appreciated!!!!

JETX

"Do I have a decent claim to take her to small claims court?"
*** In my opinion, no. Without a term lease in place, you were a month-to-month tenant and as such were obligated to give the landlord 30-days notice of your intent to vacate. Appparently, you didn't. Now, if you had gotten this verbal agreement for the refund in writing, you would probably have a good case, but without it.... nope.

"And if so what else could I do to back myself up with evidence and such?"
*** See above.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">