• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate refusing to pay rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ms_kitty

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

Ok the issue is with my roommate. We had a written agreement when we first moved in together. On this agreement it states that it is for a set time and then it states on a month to month basis and if either want to leave they have to give a 30 day written notice. I sent her a text the other night and told her this was 30 days notice. She has since decided she wants out before the end of February. I think she is still responsible for Marchs rent because she hasn't given me her notice. And if she moves out then it is breaking the contract correct? Therefore she is still responsible? Well she is refusing to pay...and I need advice on how to go about getting her to pay.

racer72

Text messages are not legal notification. Also, your lease agreement with your landlord determines who pays rent each month, not your agreement with your roommate.

ms_kitty

Yes I understand that, I'm still going to pay Marchs rent (I don't want to be evicted) but I was wondering if I can force her to pay me for her share. Today, I wrote out an official 30 days notice on a piece of paper, I didn't realize that a text wasn't considered legal. So is her moving out before her giving me a notice that she is leaving is considered her breaking Our rental agreement? Does me giving her my 30 day notice make her not responsible?

Last edited:

racer72

As I stated above, your lease with your landlord determines who is responsible for the rent, neither of you have the right to reassigned this without permission of the landlord. This means your "contract" is not legally binding unless your landlord agreed to your contract. If you have given proper notification to your landlord, your's and your roommates obligation to pay any rent ends when the landlord accepts the proper notice to end the lease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">