• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate stole my security deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slvc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Hi. This is my first post here because this is the first time I've ever encountered a problem. I lived at college a few hours away (same state, NJ) and shared an apartment with three others. Everyone lives in the area except me. Apparently the apartment management sent out one giant check for the security deposit to one person. She never told me about it, I ended up hearing about it from another roommate. When I texted, she said she was mailing it out in a few days. After two weeks, my other roommate said that he was going to pick his up because his "was returned in the mail". I texted her again and she said she mailed it the week before. I never received it and it has now been over a month.. I texted her on Saturday asking if she could deposit the check into my bank account since that's how we always did the rent and she never responded. I've texted her every day, called, messaged on Facebook, posted on her wall, no response.

I don't have a job, I don't have parents anymore to ask advice from, I don't have any lawyer or cop friends.. I really need my security deposit back. The amount is a little over $500. I don't have an address for her now, I just know where she goes to school.

I would appreciate any advice anyone could give me, I really can't take a loss on it. Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">