• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate stole my truck and totaled it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cookiedude

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hello folks,

Background: A roommate of mine took my vehicle without permission, and subsequently totaled it. I only had liability on the truck at the time, as I was not legally able to drive. From time to time, I'd allow him to utilize the vehicle to get to and from work; however, this was not one of those times. I live in Harris county, however the truck was totaled in Montgomery county (a neighboring county), as he attempted to flee with it. A police report was filed immediately after he loaded all of his belongings into the truck and took off. However, the cops told me that as I knew the individual, it was highly unlikely the DA would press charges and I'd be left with civil options.

This occurred in December of 2015. I have since figured out where he now lives (Atlanta, Georgia), and where he works. Therefore, it now makes sense to me to file a lawsuit and attempt to garnish his wages (see more below). Before this point in time, being unable to find him and realizing he'd be unable to pay a judgement anyway, it made no sense.

My questions are these:

1)Do I file in the county in which the totaling of the vehicle took place or in the county where the vehicle was housed and I lived at the time (I have since moved to Montgomery County, but live in Harris).

2)Will the courts have jurisdiction over the case as it occurred when we both lived in Harris county and on Texas roadways, or does the fact he ran away to Georgia change this?

3)I realize Texas does not allow wage garnishment for these types of judgements. However, Georgia does. Can I domesticate my judgement in Georgia and enforce wage garnishment through Georgia?

If there is any additional information you need, please let me know. Thank you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hello folks,

Background: A roommate of mine took my vehicle without permission, and subsequently totaled it. I only had liability on the truck at the time, as I was not legally able to drive. From time to time, I'd allow him to utilize the vehicle to get to and from work; however, this was not one of those times. I live in Harris county, however the truck was totaled in Montgomery county (a neighboring county), as he attempted to flee with it. A police report was filed immediately after he loaded all of his belongings into the truck and took off. However, the cops told me that as I knew the individual, it was highly unlikely the DA would press charges and I'd be left with civil options.

This occurred in December of 2015. I have since figured out where he now lives (Atlanta, Georgia), and where he works. Therefore, it now makes sense to me to file a lawsuit and attempt to garnish his wages (see more below). Before this point in time, being unable to find him and realizing he'd be unable to pay a judgement anyway, it made no sense.

My questions are these:

1)Do I file in the county in which the totaling of the vehicle took place or in the county where the vehicle was housed and I lived at the time (I have since moved to Montgomery County, but live in Harris).

2)Will the courts have jurisdiction over the case as it occurred when we both lived in Harris county and on Texas roadways, or does the fact he ran away to Georgia change this?

3)I realize Texas does not allow wage garnishment for these types of judgements. However, Georgia does. Can I domesticate my judgement in Georgia and enforce wage garnishment through Georgia?

If there is any additional information you need, please let me know. Thank you.
When did this take place? It was not December of 2015. Unless of course you stole the TARDIS.
1) You file where the vehicle was housed and you lived at the time.
2) Yes, Texas has jurisdiction.
3) Do you know how to domesticate the judgment?

TigerD

When did this take place? It was not December of 2015. Unless of course you stole the TARDIS.
1) You file where the vehicle was housed and you lived at the time.
2) Yes, Texas has jurisdiction.
3) Do you know how to domesticate the judgment?
Extra like for the Dr. Who reference.

TD

Cookiedude

Apologies. December of 2014. I know what I've read, but have no practical experience on domesticating the judgment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">