• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate Tries to Skip on Bill Payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jimmytso

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

My ex-roommate and I lived together for a year, and for the last 4 months he has skipped paying me for half the utility bills. I have the Utility bills under my name. We have only ever verbally agreed that he will pay me his half of the utility bills. dumb mistake.

I'm not sure what to do. Please help. Is taking him to small claims court going to backfire since it was only a verbal agreement? Help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
We really don't like thread deleters.

If this is your "friend", he won't be after you sue him.

jimmytso

I deleted this identical thread earlier because I posted it in the wrong section of the forums.

I've already made it clear that he is no longer a "friend." No friend of mine would ever skip out on paying for their portion of the bills without asking first.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I deleted this identical thread earlier because I posted it in the wrong section of the forums.

I've already made it clear that he is no longer a "friend." No friend of mine would ever skip out on paying for their portion of the bills without asking first.
Then, as someone far wiser than I said: Sue him and find out!

jimmytso

Ah so I guess the main thing I was wondering was whether having no written document agreeing that he would pay half the bills would hold up in court?

While my last attempts of trying to contact him to collect the money he said, "What proof do you have that I owe you?"

Other than keeping an excel spread sheet of the bills that I have paid and the amount that he has paid me and what he owes for the first part of living with me I have no such proof.

seniorjudge

Ah so I guess the main thing I was wondering was whether having no written document agreeing that he would pay half the bills would hold up in court?

While my last attempts of trying to contact him to collect the money he said, "What proof do you have that I owe you?"

Other than keeping an excel spread sheet of the bills that I have paid and the amount that he has paid me and what he owes for the first part of living with me I have no such proof.
Sue him and find out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">