• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate is trying to sue me.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jesseniagirl

What is the name of your state? California
My problem is that I have an ex roommate that is trying to sue me. In August of 2002, I had signed a lease on an apartment room. My roommate and I both shared a 4 bedroom apartment with 2 other girls, and we all had separate leases on our rooms. My lease is over in August of 2003, and I'm still keeping up with the monthly payments for my room, which i will continue to do so, until August of 2003. I'm not living in the apartment anymore. My roommate had a friend that had sexually assulted me, so I did not feel safe in the environment which was provided for me. I last set foot in that place on December 30th, 2002 (continuing to pay monthy rental dues).
My ex roomate demands that I pay her money for bills (PG&E and cable) for January 2003, when I was not living there. The bills are in my ex roommates name, and I never signed a contract that said that I had to pay her. We always had a verbal agreement that I would pay bills for the time I was living there. I paid her every single time the bills came around in duration of the time that I was living there. However, I didn't pay her for December because that bill came around after I moved out. I feel that it is morally right for me to pay her for December though. However, I have not paid her for December on the bases that she never showed me a bill which shows the portion that I should pay her.
The total for the bills that she says I'm suppose to pay her is only $95. She has been calling me up since February of 2003 (last 3 months) at least once a week to everyday, leaving messages on my cell phone saying that she's going to sue me. Now she's telling me that she's going to have me turned me over for collection. She says that she's going to talk to a collecting agency, pay the due in which is required for her to collect my money, collect the total amount of money ($95 plus due requirement to collecting agency), have me billed for $95 plus the collectors due), and ruin my credit. I feel like I'm being harrassed. Her calling me up all of the time and saying that she's going to sue me and ruin my credit, has put me under a lot of stress. I don't see why I am obligated to pay her the $95. I know it's only a small amount of money, but it's money that I don't think I'm obligated to pay, so I refuse to pay her.
Here are some reasons why I don't think I should pay her...
1. I never signed a contract with her stating that I would pay my portion of the bills. The bills are in her name, and in turn, her responsibility.
2. I was never shown a bill that shows the portion that I owe. Why should I pay her if no proof has been shown to me of what I owe.
3. I was not provided with a safe environment, which enabled me from continuously living there.
4. I never received any reciepts for any money that I had paid her. She has not said that she would give me any reciept if I pay her the $95. How do I know that she's not going to try to sue me anyway?
5. I never set foot in the apartment in January. I morally should not have to pay.
I don't think that I am legally obligated to pay her any money. I had a lease on my room for rental dues, and I never signed a contract that states that I owe money to my ex roommate for PG&E, and the cable bill. She is threatening me to turn me over for collection, and ruin my credit which I don't think she has the legal right to do. However, I do worry a lot, so this is stressing me out. Could someone please tell me what the think of the situation and who they think is in the legal right? Pleeeeeeeaaase????!!! Personally, I think that she has no case!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">