• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate trying to sue me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leggomygreggo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

My roommate loaned me $500 about 6 months ago. I have recently repaid him $1500 from interest. He is now saying that he wants $5000. I told him there is no way i can possibly do that and now he is saying that if I don't pay him back he is going to take me to court and say that I haven't paid rent in months and freeze all my assests. There was no written agreement that I was supposed to pay him $500. Can he legally do this or prove this? I pay my rent in cash every month so there is no way for me to prove that i paid him. Please help.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

My roommate loaned me $500 about 6 months ago. I have recently repaid him $1500 from interest. He is now saying that he wants $5000. I told him there is no way i can possibly do that and now he is saying that if I don't pay him back he is going to take me to court and say that I haven't paid rent in months and freeze all my assests. There was no written agreement that I was supposed to pay him $500. Can he legally do this or prove this? I pay my rent in cash every month so there is no way for me to prove that i paid him. Please help.
Tell this idiot to pound sand. In fact if he charged you $1,000 interest, you might want to consider suing him. Google the term usury and then hightail over to the court house to file your claim.

latigo

Six months or more of living with and putting up with this avaricious jerk?

Are you two joined at the hip or what?!

And what does “$1500 from interest” supposed to mean?

Are you telling us that you paid him 6 months of interest of a thousand dollars on top of the principal of $500? If so, are you aware that it would amount to an APR of 400%?! And now we are to believe that he is asking for 1200%!

Now you are either naïve to the point of disbelief, this guy is head of the La Cosa Nostra, or you are purposely magnifying these numbers.

And why are you paying him for your share of the rent instead of the landlord and getting receipts? Are you under some sort of indenture to this guy?

Have you ever read the lease to know what it actually calls for in monthly rent or are you just taking his word? Has he ever produced a receipt from the landlord?

I’d say you need help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">