• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scammed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scammed11

ILLINOIS
I have an ex boyfriend who I loaned over $1600 dollars. On Oct 20th I was told by him in a text message which I saved that he would pay me back and he has yet to do so and says he won't. I want to nail his butt! Any contingency lawyers out there. He took all of my savings. I am a single parent.

LdiJ

ILLINOIS
I have an ex boyfriend who I loaned over $1600 dollars. On Oct 20th I was told by him in a text message which I saved that he would pay me back and he has yet to do so and says he won't. I want to nail his butt! Any contingency lawyers out there. He took all of my savings. I am a single parent.
This would be a small claims case and there is not enough money involved for an attorney to be willing to take it on contingency. Just file in small claims court yourself.

Antigone*

ILLINOIS
You should never loan what you cannot afford to gift. That being said, this is not an attorney referral website. You can find the website your the court in your jurisdiction and get the necessary forms, read the FAQs and file your own small claims suite against this guy.

Don't be surprise, however, if a judge, refuses to makse sense of the pots and pans of your life. If you do get a judgement, then that is where the battle really begins.

sandyclaus

ILLINOIS
This is not a scam, it's an unpaid loan.

Your recourse is to sue the bad ex in Small Claims to obtain a judgment for the amount of the loan. However, to get that judgment, you will have to prove that the amount claimed is actually a loan with an obligation to repay and not a gift. If you have nothing in writing (text messages won't always count because they can be easily faked/spoofed), then it could be quite difficult to prove that it was a loan and not a gift. That goes especially for loans to ex-boyfriends/lovers/spouses/significant others.

The others are correct in that there would be no contingency attorneys who would likely take your case. The dollar amount you are seeking wouldn't be enough for most to make it worth their time. You'll just have to take this one on yourself.

Of course, even if you do get a judgment, that doesn't get you the money back. You will still have to collect the judgment yourself.

scammed11

yep I have proof

I have two text messages where he said he would pay me back. I have been in contact with two lawyers and they both sound promising. I was played and used is what the guy said. Nice huh. I was stupid.

I have two text messages where he said he would pay me back. I have been in contact with two lawyers and they both sound promising. I was played and used is what the guy said. Nice huh. I was stupid.
Well, join the club with BF-GF loans, right. Small claims, you'll get a judgment & then see if he pays. Then, if not, the fun begins.

? - when was this loan & when was the last payment made?

scammed11

Oct 2011 and no he hasn't paid anything. He thinks it is hilarious that he played me and used me. Even admitted it. He is human garbage!

Hot Topic

You have a child, yet you gave all your $$$$$ to an ex-boyfriend?

Your child should come before ANYTHING else.

If it weren't for a child, I'd applaud him getting away with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">