• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School liability for stolen property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

11b30p8

My daughter Goes to School in Nevada... we had an incident at the school to where they are denied all about liability. They allow skateboards to school even though in the handbook they do not. They also provide a bin in front of the Dean's office for all kids to put their transportation aside from bikes... For example skateboards rollerblades and other new form of transportation to and from school.

One day my daughter had her skateboard stolen so I went in there to find out if there was any camera footage. They said that the camera rotated so there was no footage and I asked them what we could do aside from filing a police report. They said nothing, they do not allow kids to secure their own skateboards due to liability reasons and possibly could be used as Weapons I totally agree but I also feel if a company or an agency provides a location to store them in front of the Dean's office they should be somewhat liable and securing them during school hours. In front of the Dean's office there are two large bins that kids put their items in and they can come get them after school. How long the walls there are no signs saying we are not liable for lost or stolen items. There is a rotating camera that apparently takes 45 seconds to go back to the original position so there's no footage of it being taken. My argument is this if you do not allow my child to be responsible for that skateboard through the school hours and you provide them with a location to store it you assume responsibility when she provide that container if you allow them to carry it for safety reasons.

The student handbook says verbatim skateboards can be ridden to and from school however no skateboarding is allowed on campus at any time. it is their responsibility to secure their skateboard during school hours. But when you force someone to place their items in one of your containers and take away the responsibility from the child you automatically assume that responsibility for that item.

That is just how we do it at work when we have a guest who comes in with a weapon we take their weapons put it in a locker and give them the key but ultimately we assume responsibility for that weapon while it's under our control. Can someone shed some light and maybe some advice on what I can and can't do. Thank you for your time

Dave1952

I'd agree that the school was responsible for the skateboard on the first day of school. After that the parent should have known about storage and accepted responsibility.
I looked on CraigsList and found second hand boards for about $100 and they are much cheaper on E-Bay.
So, is it worth your time and money to try to sue in this matter? It wouldn't be worth mine. Figure an hour off work and paying for parking to get and fill out the forms. Then a few hours off work and parking on your court date. If you win you'll be awarded the price of a used skateboard, maybe $20.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">