• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sears-How do you sue them?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA state

I need to take Sears to small claims court regarding my dishwasher that was installed by them leaked due to improper installation. Problem is, how do you sue a large company like that? Who do you serve?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA state

I need to take Sears to small claims court regarding my dishwasher that was installed by them leaked due to improper installation. Problem is, how do you sue a large company like that? Who do you serve?
The contractor that did the work for Sears. :rolleyes:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
The contractor that did the work is not Sears. I paid Sears for the installation. Why would I sue the other party?
And you think the contractor did the work for free why? :rolleyes:

Have you contacted the contractor and spoke with him/her/it about your concerns?

Have you contacted the customer service department that arranged the service for you?

knowledgesearch

Yes, of course you must sue Sears and not the installer if you paid Sears and your contract is with them.

Go to your secretary of state's website and find Sears. It may be a DBA for something else, but ultimately every corporation must state their agent for service of process. For big companies their agent is usually some forwarding company like US Corporation Company, or some such name. Sometimes they have multiple similar names like Sears, Inc. and Sears Stores, Inc. , but usually they list the same agent for service. And the agent has an office staffed 9-5, usually just a hole in the wall of some Downtown office building in the capital, where a young man or woman will accept papers for their clients. Be sure to get a receipt. (Of course you cannot serve the papers yourself if you are the plaintiff).

If you are not in the capital then look up process servers in that city, call them to determine the fee for serving US Corporation Company or whoever it is, and send the papers off with a check. They will send you proof of service.

Good luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The contractor that did the work is not Sears. I paid Sears for the installation. Why would I sue the other party?
Check out http://www.secstate.wa.gov/corps/search.aspx

And, I suggest you name both entities in the suit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">