• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seems hopeless went to cops they said matter was civil not criminal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nightwing20

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I'm not sure if I should bother asking. The situation seems hopeless, or maybe I'm wrong?

I loaned money to someone that I thought was trustworthy and reliable. Later this person went to jail for two months. Yup, made the wrong call. I'm not exactly sure of the reason. Didn't make much sense since I'm not getting all the information I wanted. The person called and ask if I could post bail and I was given a bailbondsman phone number. Also was given the person's mother phone number. The person wanted me to break the bad news to their mother if nobody can help. Wonderful, no awkwardness in this person's plan. I did called the bondsman, it probably sounds silly but I was hoping they can tell me why this person was in jail. They can't tell me anything and the bail is 2,000.00. I was never going to give that much more additional as a loan. Felt bad though. Wrote a letter with pictures to try and soften the blow. I sent pictures but not of us. I was worried who else would see my photo. I mean, you never know. I have no idea and gave up on the person. Blocked the number and things went back to normality.

Person calls me from new phone number to thank me (after jail time). Said the letter made the person feel better. Made a promise to turn their life around. Said it was a wake up call. Ask about resume advice and temp agency I used. I offered to help this person find a job. I mean faster this person is employed the faster I can expect to be repaid. Both win right? It took a long time but I agreed to visit the person. Person looked very happy we hugged and kissed and well... I didn't care about what happened anymore.

Fastfoward to the past saturday. This person kept asking me to visit and we were suppose to watch a movie and sort out the loan. I'm angry but I always try to reason with this person.

This person is acting like a complete pycho as I started driving the car. I have no idea what the problem is. Then the request for more money came I said "no" until I get some straight answers from the person. Then the person leaps over me and takes my wallet from my jacket's breast pocket. "I'm on probation. They will send me back to jail if I don't pay. I'm not going back to jail!!!" The person is also blocking the road from my view and their arm is resting on the steering wheel. I don't think the person knows this but their arm was making it difficult to steer in a straight line. So, this all happened on the highway and I'm freaking out. I tried to get the wallet back. I did but the person took all the cash. We end up at some place that was programed into gps and the person hands the money to someone who is suppose to use it to pay probation fine? Person reasures me I'll be paid back. Later I ditch the person and go to the cops. I didn't want the person in my car anymore. I was afraid this person would cause a car accident.

They said it's a civil matter. Person knows I spoke to police. Claims I'm the crazy person and said they had blocked me and denies everything. I do not know if person has a probation officer. Police weren't helpful. I doubt the pobation officer, if there is one, would be helpful either. I have a dashcam with microphone. The person claims the theft never happened. Audio is excellent and you can hear the truth. If this person has a probation officer how do I find the person? It's been a week and I'm still upset of the situation. it's been difficult to let go. Thought that might be best. Maybe I should just be grateful that the car wasn't damaged and that I'm safe. The person doesn't have much money either. Should I try and do something? I feel like I need a lawyer for this one. Or should I try and put this all behind me and move on?

LdiJ

Telling the story a slightly different way isn't going to get you any better answers than you got the first time around.

You have learned a life lesson. Be smarter in the future.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I'm not sure if I should bother asking. The situation seems hopeless, or maybe I'm wrong?

I loaned money to someone that I thought was trustworthy and reliable. Later this person went to jail for two months. Yup, made the wrong call. I'm not exactly sure of the reason. Didn't make much sense since I'm not getting all the information I wanted. The person called and ask if I could post bail and I was given a bailbondsman phone number. Also was given the person's mother phone number. The person wanted me to break the bad news to their mother if nobody can help. Wonderful, no awkwardness in this person's plan. I did called the bondsman, it probably sounds silly but I was hoping they can tell me why this person was in jail. They can't tell me anything and the bail is 2,000.00. I was never going to give that much more additional as a loan. Felt bad though. Wrote a letter with pictures to try and soften the blow. I sent pictures but not of us. I was worried who else would see my photo. I mean, you never know. I have no idea and gave up on the person. Blocked the number and things went back to normality.

Person calls me from new phone number to thank me (after jail time). Said the letter made the person feel better. Made a promise to turn their life around. Said it was a wake up call. Ask about resume advice and temp agency I used. I offered to help this person find a job. I mean faster this person is employed the faster I can expect to be repaid. Both win right? It took a long time but I agreed to visit the person. Person looked very happy we hugged and kissed and well... I didn't care about what happened anymore.

Fastfoward to the past saturday. This person kept asking me to visit and we were suppose to watch a movie and sort out the loan. I'm angry but I always try to reason with this person.

This person is acting like a complete pycho as I started driving the car. I have no idea what the problem is. Then the request for more money came I said "no" until I get some straight answers from the person. Then the person leaps over me and takes my wallet from my jacket's breast pocket. "I'm on probation. They will send me back to jail if I don't pay. I'm not going back to jail!!!" The person is also blocking the road from my view and their arm is resting on the steering wheel. I don't think the person knows this but their arm was making it difficult to steer in a straight line. So, this all happened on the highway and I'm freaking out. I tried to get the wallet back. I did but the person took all the cash. We end up at some place that was programed into gps and the person hands the money to someone who is suppose to use it to pay probation fine? Person reasures me I'll be paid back. Later I ditch the person and go to the cops. I didn't want the person in my car anymore. I was afraid this person would cause a car accident.

They said it's a civil matter. Person knows I spoke to police. Claims I'm the crazy person and said they had blocked me and denies everything. I do not know if person has a probation officer. Police weren't helpful. I doubt the pobation officer, if there is one, would be helpful either. I have a dashcam with microphone. The person claims the theft never happened. Audio is excellent and you can hear the truth. If this person has a probation officer how do I find the person? It's been a week and I'm still upset of the situation. it's been difficult to let go. Thought that might be best. Maybe I should just be grateful that the car wasn't damaged and that I'm safe. The person doesn't have much money either. Should I try and do something? I feel like I need a lawyer for this one. Or should I try and put this all behind me and move on?

Dragonking, the answers haven't changed since the last time you posted under a different name:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/small-claims-courts-24/feel-scammed-robbed-want-sue-woman-i-meet-online-not-sure-what-do-619960.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">