• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seller Credit and Small Claims Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fbreyker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I recently purchased my first home, and was supposed to receive $400 for home repairs. The seller and I both signed a document, with an official Century 21 real estate header, agreeing to $400 in lieu of the seller repairing the damages. I have already gone to closing and signed everything. Prior to closing I never received my HUD. At closing, I was rushed through all documents. After closing, I reviewed my HUD and the $400 we agreed upon, for repairs, was left off. The lender, both Realtors, and the closing company overlooked this credit.

Since I have a document signed by myself and the previous owner stating they would give me $400 at settlement for repairs and since I can prove they did not, do I have any legal recourse? My Realtor and her broker said I do not, since all parties approved the HUD. I was never made aware of how I would be given money for these repairs. I did not know if it would be part of the HUD, or if I would be given a check by the seller for repairs. All I knew was that I was supposed to be given $400 at settlement, in some form, for repairs.

fbreyker

Sue for the $400.
Are you certain that I can sue? Both Realtor's and their brokers are saying I have no recourse. I keep in mind that they are not lawyers; however, I am concerned that they could be correct.

It seems to me that if I have a signed document saying that someone would do something and they failed to do so, regardless of reason, that I would be able to legally and justifiably sue.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Of course you can sue. America - what a country!

Seriously, it sounds like you have a good case to make in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">