• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seller sent item without insurance, lost in mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jtls66

What is the name of your state? Connecticut
i recently bought an item from a business out of my state for $9000, and paid $50 to ship it insured. The item was mailed, and I was supplied a tracking number. When I saw the USPS tracking info said item was "delivered" I was concerned. I never got the item. I asked the seller for the insurance info # so I could track the item further, and the seller stated he "forgot" to insure it. The tricky part is the item was shown as delivered at 11:58 AM and I know my mail have never come before 4:00 in the past 15 years. We are on the end of the mail route. I talked to the USPS and they agreed, yes the item was most likely not delivered to me, but no idea where it was delivered. No signature was required with no insurance. What can I do? Who is at fault? Seller did not insure the item, and mail misdelivered it. The seller said sorry, we send out a lot of mail and that happens every now and them. The item shows as delivered so it is tough for me to just say I did not get it. Please advise

stephenk

if you can, have postal service send some sort of confirmation that the item was never delivered to you. produce this to the seller and request your money back since the seller has not delivered on the agreement.

JETX

If you clearly requested insurance, and they confirmed they were shipping insured, AND you paid for insurance..... they are liable for the loss.

The problem is, that you will likely have to take legal action to get compensated... and even then, you need to consider your chances of recovery. If they are a small 'mom-and-pop', you may never recover the $9000 loss.

See an attorney in your area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">