• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seller won't give me puppy's papers.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

areidies

Illinois
I have a signed contract that states the seller will give me the registration papers for my "purebred" Australian Shepherd puppy after I have proof of vaccinations and attended obedience classes. I have both and still have not received the papers. My puppy is one year old. I have been told the sire's papers were delayed because of pictures getting lost. That was 9 months ago. 5 months ago I was told it would be very soon. Do I have a small claims case to get some or all of my money back without giving up the dog? What is the name of your state?Illinois

THE PRACTICE-34

areidies said:
Illinois
I have a signed contract that states the seller will give me the registration papers for my "purebred" Australian Shepherd puppy after I have proof of vaccinations and attended obedience classes. I have both and still have not received the papers. My puppy is one year old. I have been told the sire's papers were delayed because of pictures getting lost. That was 9 months ago. 5 months ago I was told it would be very soon. Do I have a small claims case to get some or all of my money back without giving up the dog? What is the name of your state?Illinois

My response:

What is the State of the seller?

What is the purpose of your ownership of the dog; e.g., breeding purposes, house pet, showing it, etc.?

A dog is "property", not unlike your television, refrigerator, car, etc. If you sue, you can't keep the property if you get your money back.

IAAL

areidies

The seller is also from Illinois. I paid a very large price for the puppy which was represented as a purebred. If he is not a purebred I should have paid next to nothing. Perhaps I should get most of the money back. A refrigerator wouldn't care if I gave it back. My dog and I would be devestated. I didn't get him for breeding purposes, but my purposes are not the issue. The contract stating his purebred status and the price I paid for that seem to me to be the issue.

Coho

Puppy papers

I would contact the breed association with which the dog is to be registered. Sometimes they have the ability to "encourage" breeders to follow thru with contractual agreements. If this person has signed a "Code of Ethics" with the association, they can be sensored or fined. Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">