• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling car 2 sister

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Marie01

Unhappy
Selling a car 2 a family member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PENNSYLVANIA

I recently sold my car 2 my sister. Yes I realize now it was a bad idea. SHe was in a bind and needed a car & i was selling mine. She was unable to get a loan so I left the loan in my name. This was on October 1st 2008. She now has come to me and stated that she cannot afford the payments & wants to give the car back. I know she has the money we had went over a budget.
I printed out a buyer & seller agreement online & added a few minor details that were specific to our situation. This was signed & taken to a notary.
If my sister chooses not to pay will this hold up in court or am I fighting a battle I may not win.

the document says that she will agree to pay the payments until the end of the loan & the car was sold as is.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, you defrauded your lender AND your insurance company, and now you want the courts to help you continue the fraud?

I don't think so.

(Also, this makes for some interesting reading: https://forum.freeadvice.com/search.php?searchid=2074142 )

Marie01

So, you defrauded your lender AND your insurance company, and now you want the courts to help you continue the fraud?

I don't think so.

(Also, this makes for some interesting reading: https://forum.freeadvice.com/search.php?searchid=2074142 )

First of all there is no FRAUD going on here !! The bank is fully aware that my sister has the car. The monthly payments come out of HER account automatically each month. This was set up by the bank. As far as the insurance goes she is on the policy so there is NO fraud there either.

SO before you start calling someone a fraud you may want to get all the facts first !

BL

First of all there is no FRAUD going on here !! The bank is fully aware that my sister has the car. The monthly payments come out of HER account automatically each month. This was set up by the bank. As far as the insurance goes she is on the policy so there is NO fraud there either.

SO before you start calling someone a fraud you may want to get all the facts first !
YOU said you and your sister sign a notarized agreement .

Where is the signed agreement with the lender for your sister to take the car and take over the payments ?

Oh , so the lender is happy as long as the get paid , and if the payments stop , the lender can still hold YOU responsible !!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Uh huh - yeah.
Tell you what...next time, make sure you make-up...errrr...post the facts BEFORE you post the question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">