• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling my car to a friend but she's not paying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tkingsepp

What is the name of your state? Tx
I am selling my car to a friend for $2500.00. She paid me $1900 down and then was to pay me $150 a month. Since April she has only paid me $100. I was in a car accident April 2nd and no longer have car. So since she's made no other payments, I was thinking about repossessing the car. I still have a key and the title to the car. Would she be able to do anything legally to me if I did repo it and not give her money back to her?

mzbmer

You know I'm having the same issue kinda, my freind is not making payments on time my creditor doesn't care where the money comes from. But this is ruining my credit. It's my truck I have the key and the title, I'm going to go and get my truck and if my friend doesn't like it they can try and sue me. Maybe Jetx can help he is familiar with texas law. Good luck

tkingsepp

We do not have a contract. Just a verbal agreement. And I own the car. She should have paid me $150 the 1st of March, Apr, May & June. She's only paid me $100. She owes me $500.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

tkingsepp said:
We do not have a contract. Just a verbal agreement. And I own the car. She should have paid me $150 the 1st of March, Apr, May & June. She's only paid me $100. She owes me $500.
yes, you can reposses the car after complying with all of your state's requirements.

You can also be sued and return every penny of what she has paid you.

OR, you can sue her for the missing $500 and provide the court with a copy of your sales contract......get the point?

JETX

BelizeBreeze said:
yes, you can reposses the car after complying with all of your state's requirements.
Sorry, but that is NOT correct. Without a written agreement including a SECURITY interest... you have no legal right to repossess or recover the vehicle. Your claim is a simple breach of contract case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">