• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling used household items

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ankura

What is the name of your state? California.

I recently put an advt to sell my used sofa set. A prospective buyer came and we made the deal at lower amount ($600) than asking price($850). the buyer wanted to pick the sofa set immediately but couldn't get u-haul. At this point i told him to give me more time to re-think the sale and he agreed. after sometime i called him and told him that he can pick the sofa set. all this happended on tuesday. Then the buyer asked if he can come on wednessday morning which i rejected. so he promised to come on thurs but did not show up(he left a voice message which i did't see until sunday). so on thursday, i send him an e-mail as well as called to ask agian. this time he said he will come on friday between 6-7pm. i waited for him on friday till 7:05pm, called him at work (left voice message) & home but couldn't get hold of him. later i left home thinking he is not interested. while i was out of home around 7:30pm he called & said he will come on sunday morning, i said okay but wasn't sure if he will surely come the third time.
saturday morning he called twice to change the pick up timings again, by this time i was frustrated and not sure if he will come at all.

on saturday evening, i changed my mind because i was getting less rate anyway and the buyer was not picking it up as promised. so, I called the buyer to tell that deal is cancelled ( i did make some excuse) but the buyer became furious and started yelling at me saying how can i do that. he started talking rudely and said that he will get u-haul, come with his friend on sunday and see how I can reject giving sofa set to him. he also said that he has alrady booked teh u-haul at which i asked him to cancel it and told him that i will share half of your cancellation fees. i told him repeately that deal is over and he need not come for pick up. however , he kept forcing me to give him the sofa.

on sunday morning , to my surprise, he showed up at my door with his friend and tried to force me to give him the sofa set. i refused to oblige and then he threatened me that he has all records of phone calls and e-mail messages and that he will file a case against me. i said "go file the case" and closed the door as he kept yelling. now i am wondering is he has a solid case? can he take me to court for settlement? is yes, how much can he claim for? if he can keep cancelling the pickup time, do I have the right to cancel the deal at any time? there was no monetary exchange done at any point of time. apprecaite feedback on this. thanks!

BL

ankura said:
What is the name of your state? California.

I recently put an advt to sell my used sofa set. A prospective buyer came and we made the deal at lower amount ($600) than asking price($850). the buyer wanted to pick the sofa set immediately but couldn't get u-haul. At this point i told him to give me more time to re-think the sale and he agreed. after sometime i called him and told him that he can pick the sofa set. all this happended on tuesday. Then the buyer asked if he can come on wednessday morning which i rejected. so he promised to come on thurs but did not show up(he left a voice message which i did't see until sunday). so on thursday, i send him an e-mail as well as called to ask agian. this time he said he will come on friday between 6-7pm. i waited for him on friday till 7:05pm, called him at work (left voice message) & home but couldn't get hold of him. later i left home thinking he is not interested. while i was out of home around 7:30pm he called & said he will come on sunday morning, i said okay but wasn't sure if he will surely come the third time.
saturday morning he called twice to change the pick up timings again, by this time i was frustrated and not sure if he will come at all.

on saturday evening, i changed my mind because i was getting less rate anyway and the buyer was not picking it up as promised. so, I called the buyer to tell that deal is cancelled ( i did make some excuse) but the buyer became furious and started yelling at me saying how can i do that. he started talking rudely and said that he will get u-haul, come with his friend on sunday and see how I can reject giving sofa set to him. he also said that he has alrady booked teh u-haul at which i asked him to cancel it and told him that i will share half of your cancellation fees. i told him repeately that deal is over and he need not come for pick up. however , he kept forcing me to give him the sofa.

on sunday morning , to my surprise, he showed up at my door with his friend and tried to force me to give him the sofa set. i refused to oblige and then he threatened me that he has all records of phone calls and e-mail messages and that he will file a case against me. i said "go file the case" and closed the door as he kept yelling. now i am wondering is he has a solid case? can he take me to court for settlement? is yes, how much can he claim for? if he can keep cancelling the pickup time, do I have the right to cancel the deal at any time? there was no monetary exchange done at any point of time. apprecaite feedback on this. thanks!
Really , when he finally did show up , did he have the $600.00 bucks ?

Now what is the real reason you didn't take his $600.00 bucks when he showed up to pay for the sofa ?

ankura

since i had already told him a day earlier about cancellation of. i did not ask if he had $600 or not. i had already changed my mind and there fore did not sell the sofa.

ankura

since i had already told him a day earlier about cancellation of deal. i did not ask if he had $600 or not. i had already changed my mind and therefore did not sell the sofa.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">