• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Senior Citizens being taken advantage of! HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlp17603

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello all, thanks for all your feedback!

My grandma bought a bunk bed from a furniture dealer she found online (Craiglist). She went to the furniture warehouse with my mom where she met the furniture dealer's partner, Debra. Apparently this is a wholesale furniture company complete with showroom and it is the practice that the furniture dealer brings their customers to the warehoue to see the merchandise before buying it. Mind you, this is not some back room of a trashy, suspicious looking warehouse; this is a nice, clean, large, very legitimate looking business in Ontario, CA.
So, my grandma and Mom chose the bunk bed they liked, tested it out, paid the dealer, and set up a delivery and assembly date. My mom told the dealer that there would be adults sleeping on the bed, the dealer suggested many accessories to buy for the bed to make sure that there would not be a issue with weight on the bed. We were given a lifetime warranty on the bed by the dealer, which was written on the receipt and signed for by the dealer.
Flash forward 3 weeks later: my sister (who weighs about 16o lbs) and her 10 lb baby were sitting on the bed, when the frame of the wooden bed cracked and split. We immediately called the guy we got the bed from, no return calls. This went on for 2 weeks, with us calling and leaving messages, and us getting no return call. Finally, I called the furniture warehouse to see if they had any way of getting a hold of the dealer. A couple days later the dealer called us and told us he was not going to deal with us and to stop calling him.
I called and filed a complaint with consumer affairs last week. The lady from consumer affairs has started working on our case, and has started calling around to the people involved, however she has not been able to get a hold of the dealer, only the warehouse. So this morning, the furniture dealer called my house and spoke to my g-ma and said he has someone that wants to buy our bed in the condition that it is in.

What should we do? Sell the bed back to him? Or go after him in court?

Sorry this is so long!

BL

Let them buy it back for the same price G-M paid for it .They pick it up .

Find another bed .

Tell the dealer you will require cash in hand .

If there's no cash in hand ,sue .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">